ATTN: New guys - If you can't access certain sections/features

Steve

When you first join up your account is quite restricted, cos we've had people signing up here just to poach loads of content and copy and paste it to their sites (which is fine if they contribute here or at least say something, but people were doing it without saying a word) and it's also possible that spambots can exploit certain features of the board and I don't want that to happen.

You only need to hit 10 posts to get promoted from new member to member, and that unlocks most of the other features.

I thought I would post about this as I've had a couple of PMs from new guys asking why they can't do this or that, so, there you go. If you're still having problems with something after you hit 10 posts, PM me.

we've had people signing up here just to poach loads of content and copy and paste it to their sites (which is fine if they contribute here or at least say something, but people were doing it without saying a word)

Who, what content and where did it end up? I am genuinely shocked that somebody thought there was anything worth nicking.

It's something that happened years ago, so I don't really remember the details. Stuff from the DVKB (which is now viewable by non-members anyway) and posts in the audio/video section were getting copy and pasted to other sites. We all copy and paste stuff from other sites, but if that's all you do here then it's a bit out of order IMO and so we changed the rules a little.

• 3 weeks later...

I just went thru the hoopla of registering to see the screenshots on 'Advanced guide to using MP3Tag to tag your music' . Still blocked.

I have to make ten posts before I can read my first article properly???

This is not a way to win the love of potential new forum contributors, just delivered by google.

Shame - as the content, layout and tone seem admirable.

I will look into that, as it's not intentional. If you can see the section and the thread, then you should be able to see the content in that thread too, so sorry about that. Thanks for pointing it out and welcome to the forums.

EDIT - I believe I've fixed that issue, so if you do come back, let me know if it's working now please.