Technics SL-1200 limited editions

Hey,

Havent posted in a while, too busy with work :(

So my brother sends me a message and asks if i want to buy some technics for a good price. I dont really have the time anymore but I ask him to proceed in a manner not too dissimilar to Mr Burns.

Turns out his friend has a pair of limited edition 1200's to which he tells me they were "the last 2". I ask him to ellaborate which means that they were the last 2 sold, but not made unfortunately. so I told him to throw me some pictures my way.

My first reaction was, ohh why did he have to scribble all over them.... so I had to ask the question, ok, so whats with the platters? He explained that when he was younger he used to do the warmup slot at Gatecrasher but would haul these decks there everytime and would replace the standard installed ones foir the night so long as the headling act would sign the platters. I can make a few names out such as DJ Sneak, Roger Sanchez, Subliminal, Darren Emmerson, so mainly dance DJ's.

I have no idea if these things are valauble or not. He said there are only 3 sets in the UK (although the plate on the deck clearly states UK edition number 867). He is going to throw them on ebay sometime soon, but said i would check here to see if anyone was interested before he did. I cant remember what price he said he would sell them to me for. I will have to ask him again.

Anyone interested or know anything about these ?

Yeah they go for about £1000 a piece on Ebay. I think there were 5000 or 9999 made or something. Although I have packed my decks up (and I gave away my Techs and replaced them with Citronic OEMs) I do occasionally mull over the idea of getting a single mk5g or one of these gold ones for Techs nostalgia (and maybe archiving duty - though you could probably get better sounding decks for the money for that purpose).

I'm pretty sure at some point Richer Sounds cut the price to £500 each as well.

I knew a guy through a mate who brought some when they first came out... I think they were 1000 each.

I can't say fo sho, but I'd guess that there may be more than 3 pairs kicking about.

That said, they do look nice and if I won the lottery or some shit, I'd probably buy a set to bring to SSS.