ethernet cables

chile

anything i need to know about these things before i get one? i heard you use em for transferring stuff between computers and thats what im after. never bought one before though

Guest Symatic

speak to a shop guy, but you get different types which can take more info at a time than each other, so it depends what you're using it for.

Any ethernet cable should be fine however there are 2 types depending on how you're planning to connect it:

If you plugging both computers into a hub/router/switch (so using 2 ethernet cables and a hub) then you use normal ethernet cables.

If you are planning on connecting one computer straight to another then you will need a crossover ethernet cable.

Saying that I think most network cards these days have the ability to auto sense and change mode so I if it's modern computers you'll probably find a normal cable will still allow you connect directly from one to another.

The other thing is you don't just connect at it will work, unless you are going via a router (maybe your broadband router has ethernet ports) and it's configure to be a DHCP host in which case you can probably connect and go. If not then you will need to configure some TCP/IP network settings on the computers. If you get to that point give me a shout and I'll talk you through it.

One other important thing is make sure both computers have an ethernet port before buying a cable ;)

• Like 1

Any ethernet cable should be fine however there are 2 types depending on how you're planning to connect it:

If you plugging both computers into a hub/router/switch (so using 2 ethernet cables and a hub) then you use normal ethernet cables.

If you are planning on connecting one computer straight to another then you will need a crossover ethernet cable.

Saying that I think most network cards these days have the ability to auto sense and change mode so I if it's modern computers you'll probably find a normal cable will still allow you connect directly from one to another.

The other thing is you don't just connect at it will work, unless you are going via a router (maybe your broadband router has ethernet ports) and it's configure to be a DHCP host in which case you can probably connect and go. If not then you will need to configure some TCP/IP network settings on the computers. If you get to that point give me a shout and I'll talk you through it.

One other important thing is make sure both computers have an ethernet port before buying a cable ;)

nice one thanks mate. im in a house where the landlords hidden the router in one of the cupboards so cant really use that. im after hookin comp to comp directly so the crossover cable sounds like the answer. yeah they both have ethernet connections.. ones xp and one windows 7.. will that make a difference to anything? thanks again