bloody torrents

S S

thanks for replying Dee, but absolutely none of the search results make any sense to me. im completely computer illiterate so all this C:/ java blah blah blah goes right over my head.

can anyone explain how to fix this in lamens terms??

Guest Deeswift

Hell nose. Maybe try reinstalling Azureus. There's a folder in C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Azureus which may need deleting. Delete the Azureus folder if it's still there after you uninstall the program.

The Application Data folder is hidden by default. To see it: Open any window > Tools > Folder Options > View > tick the box to Show hidden files and folders. Click Apply.

its some brand i have never heard of. (i'll have a look at home later)

all seems to work ok though. plug the modem into the "wan" port and you get the connection split 4 ways. simple to set up.

i use it with my NTL modem.

Do you have Sun's Java installed?

Grae - People can see your full IP address in Azureus when they are in the same swarm as you. Safepeer isn't for blocking hackers - it's to stop certain organisations from connecting to your machine, such as the RIAA, MPAA, Sony etc. etc.

my router will stop any incoming snooping!!!!!!

It's not about snooping. If you have no IP block list, then it means anyone using BitTorrent and downloading the same thing as you could in theory connect to your machine to obtain pieces of the file. That's how BitTorrent works - you have to upload to be able to download. People are caught, because there are many companies out there dedicated to catching them illegally sharing files, so all they do is download the same torrent as you. Your PC sends them a piece of the file and your IP address is clearly visible anyway, so you're caught. It's not so much of a concern here in the UK, but people still get warning letters from their ISPs because of something they've downloaded.

SafePeer and other programs like it, download up to date lists of IP ranges in use by people like the MPAA, RIAA and hundreds of other companies trying to catch illegal file downloaders. To them, your PC will not exist because they cannot connect to you to upload a piece of the file.

I don't think so mate, but I could be wrong. Looking on the Bit Comet site, it doesn't appear to support any plugins. Azureus does though.

Another option is Protowall, which works like a software firewall, but blocks the same IP ranges that SafePeer does. The only problem with it is, it can render some websites unviewable and you have to switch it off. SafePeer only affects Azureus and not your entire Internet connection. You can get Protowall here if you wanna keep using Bit Comet: -

http://www.bluetack.co.uk/index.php