Vinyl rippers - To remove pops/clicks or not?

Steve

6 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion?

• I leave all pops and clicks in!
    • I will remove just the worst pops/clicks, but I won't mess with the sound too much!
    • I run a pop/click remover over the whole file!

I wrote a vinyl ripping guide for another site and the part that seemed to cause the most discussion was the bit about removing clicks/pops.

Some people felt that all clicks/pops should be left in for 2 reasons: -

1. "It's part of how vinyl sounds"

2. Removing them can affect the overall sound quality

My rebuttal to that was that vinyl isn't supposed to have clicks/pops on it - it's just something that happens - and also, you can remove a click/pop from a file by just running a click/pop remover on that tiny section of the file, so you don't have to run it over the whole file which I agree can affect the overall sound quality.

What I will usually do is zoom right in to a click/pop so that I can focus on just the part of the file that's affected, which might be a few thousandths of a second. I don't want any clicks/pops in my vinyl rips and I don't understand why anyone would unless they are making a mix or song where any crackling/pops are there intentionally for effect.

So what do you do? What are your thoughts?

Good topic.

I think clicks and pops suck when they are overbearing only. Otherwise, if they don't detract from the song by becoming something hard that is to ignore, they are a nice constant reminder that you are listening to the "real thing". I'm a romantic when it comes to vinyl collecting so to me that just adds warm fuzzys when I hear it on a mix.

I'd add, having clicks and pops for certain genres are more acceptable than others. It's great for a funk or blues mix, ok in small doses for a Hip Hop mix, but you don't want any of that when you are mixing up a straight up techno or electronic music mix. You don't wanna hear a big pop in a techno mix, since techno is supposed to sound futuristic, unorganic and crisp, beat up records detract from that greatly. I still buy an occasional techno album but never if it's in bad shape.