What the fuck is my hard drive doing?! (win 7)

Dan

On my Dell laptop my hardrive will start spinning away and the activity light will go nuts - and i can't work out why! It seems to go on for ages thus making the fan kick in so then i have the fan and drive pissing me off!

Is there any software that can show me what the drive is doing? I'm guessing it's something win 7 is doing in the back ground? (it's not de-fraging)

The indexing service isn't installed by default on Windows 7. It's been replaced by Windows Search.

What it does is allow you to choose which drives/folders you want to index, the contents are indexed, and that drastically speeds up searching.

The indexing kicks in when the computer is idle, so you hear the hard drive start to churn away, but it shouldn't happen often and it shouldn't churn away for hours on end.

Here's an article that tells you how to turn off the indexing service (if installed) and Windows Search in Windows 7: -

http://www.nerdgrind.com/stop-indexing-service-in-windows-vista-and-windows-7-and-windows-xp/

I would try it, but if that's not the cause then I would turn it back on (Windows Search that is).