Stones Throw announce new subscription deal: get all their new releases for $10 a month

Jon

http://www.stonesthr...cription-dripfm

Announcing: Stones Throw Digital Discography

Our music subscription service on Drip.fm

• January 24, 2012

Stones Throw has partnered with Drip.fm to launch the Stones Throw Digital Discography, a subscription music service where we share every new Stones Throw release, delivered right to your inbox. Members get every new Stones Throw album, single and EP as they are released, select music from the catalog, and exclusive advance material. The subscription price is $10 a month.

LINK: DRIP.FM/STONESTHROW

How it Works:

- Get every new Stones Throw release, delivered to your inbox

- Download any time, anywhere

- 320 kbps MP3 files, with no 'DRM' restrictions of any kind

- Exclusive tracks, mixes and sessions from Stones Throw artists

- Month-to-month billing.

Upon signing up, receive our three latest releases. Currently:

- Homeboy Sandman's Subject: Matter EP

- The Minimal Wave Tapes Vol. 2 (advance release exclusively on drip.fm)

- M.E.D.'s Classic Instrumentals LP

Next up:

- J. Rocc's Mystery Tracks EP

- Quakers, Quakers Album (Geoff Barrow of Portisthead & a hip-hop group of 35+ members)

- Jonwayne's Oodles of Doodles Album

Aside from our long-running free podcast series, this is the first subscription service we've ever been able to offer. We've spent a few months in planning with Drip.fm, developed by our friends at Ghostly International. We think their service is a great one, and we're proud to work together.

I think this is a wicked idea. I buy nearly all the releases of a few labels and would happily pay for this service should they start using it. I'd probably buy a few of their new albums on vinyl for my collection on top of that because I like having the physical product.

However, in the long run, you don't save a huge amount with Stones Throw. Last year they released around 30 records. I'd want more than 2/3 records a month. If Ninja Tune, who gave a larger release output, used this deal I'd be all over it. However, Stones Throw are also offering exclusive mixes etc as extra content, so you are getting a bit more for your money.

pretty crazy deal I think. Any Stones Throw fanboys out there are creaming their jeans right now. I don't ever find that any one label does it for me, although Ninja Tune and Warp both come close (as far as non-defunct labels). It's a cool model though

Hmm. Nothing I'd be interested in, my preferred media is vinyl but I can see how that'd be a hell of a good deal for cats that rock mp3s.

Stones Throw has been very hit and miss lately, I haven't heard a good Hip Hop album come out of there in years.

Anyone heard that Homeboy Sandman?

I listened to the sample tracks and wasn't too impressed. But I don't really care to hear much rap anymore. Wish they would let you DL the inst versions too. That'd be sick.