MegaUpload.com shut down by the feds

Steve

Megaupload, one of the internet's largest file-sharing sites, has been shut down by officials in the US.

The site's founders have been charged with violating piracy laws.

Federal prosecutors have accused it of costing copyright holders more than $500m (£320m) in lost revenue. The firm says it was diligent in responding to complaints about pirated material.

Investigators denied a link to recent protests against proposed piracy laws, according to the Wall Street Journal.

The US Justice Department said that Megaupload's two co-founders Kim Dotcom, formerly known as Kim Schmitz, and Mathias Ortmann were arrested in Auckland, New Zealand along with two other employees of the business at the request of US officials. It added that three other defendants were still at large.

"This action is among the largest criminal copyright cases ever brought by the United States and directly targets the misuse of a public content storage and distribution site to commit and facilitate intellectual property crime," said a statement posted on its website.

Full story, HERE.

f'kin fascists. fuck intellectual property. I bet all those artists supported the vid because they know very well 99% of the money in the entertainment industry goes to the corporate suits and the white-collar dickheads.

and fuck those lackeys in the entertainment industry too. i thought you guys did your stuff "for the art" or "for the audience" -- NO you did it for the MARKET. remember this: audience ≠ market.

yeah man... if you check the antisec, anonops, or cabincr3w twitters shits been poppin for a couple days now, and supposed to be getting even more intense. shits bout to burn, yo.

Megaupload and it's subsidiaries don't actually own the content on their servers. They only provide off site storage for their users and the public at large. Just as YouTube or Vimeo does. MegaUpload offers to remove any copyright protected content off their servers, provided that the complainant can provide proof of either ownership or license to the protected content.

So why isn't YouTube down?

you need more computers to attack the same domain; one machine using the LIIC wont do anything. youd have to go on the anonymous IRC channel and appeal your case. if enough people agree with you they will spread the word through twitter, tumbler, and the like and have thousands of machines attacking along side you.

yeah. im bad at recognizing that lately. i havent been to skratchlounge so i wasnt sure if it was a cesspool of ignorance or something.

i wouldnt have caught that either... i dont know what scratchworx or gizmo are. i havent been internetting much since RVM and my band The Hawk split up. no use for networking if i had nothing to promote. "Thank You" came out almost a year after RVM stopped performing, and when that dropped i had reason again to promote something... which is how i found this place from DJF. and this place is an awesome corner of the net to kill time at work... i get alot of useful information here, and even the people who seem to enjoy hassling others or arguing more have insight and a good sense of humor. i actually only talk on one other forum, neoseeker, which is an extremely nerdy gaming site.

It's Gizmo's forum that's connected to Skratchworx, so yes, it is a cesspool of ignorance.

(I'm joking there too!)

Now is when i miss the crying laughing smiley the most!

FileSonic has now voluntarily closed its file sharing service because of fears that it may go the same way as MegaUpload. You can still retrieve files that you personally have uploaded, but that's it.

A couple of other sites have blocked all US IP addresses.