Sound Engineering: which route should I take?

Nuno

I'm finishing High School this year and I want to get a degree in sound engineering. I don't know how many of you, or if any at all, do this for a living, but I really need some guidance right now. I can either go to Alchemea or Islington, private schools which provide year-long courses with a lot of focus on practical training, and where I believe I would learn a lot, or I can go to uni, which could be important when it comes to get a job, but where I'm afraid I would be wasting my parent's money and 3 years of my life, and getting no practical knowledge at all.

If you have or know someone who has been through this sort of choice, any advice would be much appreciated. I really don't know what to do.

Personally, I wouldn't say uni is particlularly worthwhile unless you do something vocational which leads you directly onto a career path you're interested in. I'd say it depends what your end plan is - if you want to get into engineering as a career then one of the courses you mention may be worth doing. But if you just want to learn about it for doing your own music, you'll learn off your own back anyway.

just my opinion

I had the same dilemma four years ago when i was in your position wanting to pursue production and DJing. I ended up going down both the routes you describe in your post. I finished my alevels (high school) then did a general music production course then studied something different at uni while using most of my free time to practice scratching, mixing, play gigs and network. There were times when I had to focus a lot more on my studies but I was able to get a lot out of my practicing too. If there's something you'd like to study as well as music that'd be a good option.

well i dont live in portugal so i cant comment on schools there really.. but im in my final year of uni doing a creative music technology undergraduate degree and ive learnt a shit load from it..

i dont think youll get any decent answers here in all honesty. Youre best off actually visiting the places that interest you and seeing for yourself what they have to offer. Don't dismiss universitys either without having researched a little first.. i suspect technical schools could be just as much a waste of time as a crap university.

Thank you all, that was quite helpful, and Chile, I'm actually thinking about going to the UK, as there aren't any quality schools in this field over here.

Jon's experience was particularly interesting to read, that's something I've thought of doing too, as the music production course would allow me to study something I'm actually interested in for a change, and it would also help me get used to the life in the UK, in case I want to stay.

Anyway, I'm going to London in two months and I intend to visit the schools that interest me, hopefully that'll help me make up my mind.

Thank you all, that was quite helpful, and Chile, I'm actually thinking about going to the UK, as there aren't any quality schools in this field over here.

Jon's experience was particularly interesting to read, that's something I've thought of doing too, as the music production course would allow me to study something I'm actually interested in for a change, and it would also help me get used to the life in the UK, in case I want to stay.

Anyway, I'm going to London in two months and I intend to visit the schools that interest me, hopefully that'll help me make up my mind.

OK well the way its setup in the UK is that you have to go through a college after high school where you study for either A levels or BTEC national diplomas (those are the main ones i know of and the course duration is usually 2 years max). The better you do at that stage the more UCAS points you get to help you when applying for good universities. I think the SAE colleges provide a few decent BTEC level courses although the only one i know of is in london and it really is quite expensive to live (rent costs) there.

I studied at Hull college and it was actually a really amazing place to learn music tech at. I spent 4 years failing misrably with A levels at another college then went to hull college and ended up with triple distinctions by the end of it. The teachers are of high standard and the building was constructed a few years ago so its all new and nice looking. I can't speak from experience about sound engineering courses though.. You're probably best off google searching 'BTEC sound engineering' I'm sure there will be a few scattered around the country, as well as the obvious choices in London.

OK well the way its setup in the UK is that you have to go through a college after high school where you study for either A levels or BTEC national diplomas.

There are actually a vast number of qualifications that award UCAS points:

http://www.ucas.com/students/ucas_tariff/qualifications

You may also be able to get equivalency consideration for the qualifications you have obtained in your country.

If you want to learn sound engineering as a vocation, it's fairly important that you go to an institute where you will get training on professional equipment. Sound engineering is engineering much the same as technical engineering and you need to use professional tools to sharpen your practical skills on top of learning the theory, so I'd prioritise unis with top of the range facilities and manageable class sizes to ensure you get a fair go at practicing...