speaker and amp ratings

gonna use it for a band. i will only have 1 speaker so would series/parallel matter? and by impedance you mean resistance (ohms) it can be switched between 4 and 8 i believe. god i am such a newb. the crown ce-4000 i was looking at (a hefty 1200 dollars) puts out only 600 watts for 8 ohms....while the speaker is 500 watts program holding at 8 ohms...this help?

Right if the speaker is 500 watts program you don't want to be connecting a 1000w amp to it. I'd say a 500w maybe 450 watts at 8ohms. This way the full power of the amp can be delivered to the speaker. As a sort of rule of thumb, for hi-fi/ monitoring at normal listening levels the amp should match the 'peak' output of your loudspeaker - For sound reinforcement (ie LOUD) the amp should be about the same if not slightly less than the speaker 'program' power rating.

However if you are only using 1 speaker you could get a much less powerful amp and operate it in bridged mode. Typically a Stereo, 8 ohms, 240 watts per channel amp will deliver about 800 watts in bridged mode. The power rating effectively quadruples, with the sacrifice of it being a mono signal. You're only using 1 speaker though so that doesn't matter.

Don't worry about being a newb, I've been into this shit for years and still barely understand it myself.

• 4 weeks later...
if the speaker i want is rated at 500w at 8 ohms i will need an amp that can handle about 1000w at 8 ohms right?

the amps i found that satisfy thes conditions  are ungodly expensive

help?

Thats why you never buy speakers that handles too much watts, hehe. You need to find the specs to your speaker because it may run well with 500 wrms (root means sqaure) in other words, it can performs normally at that given power. It's likely for all speakers to max out twice as their rated wrms power but not all speakers. If your speaker maxes out at 1,000 watts and you buy an amp that pushes out 1,000 wrms, the speaker will blow fairly easy because the amp will eventually push more than 1,000 watts due to wrms and musical peaks. Thus your speaker will blow after a short time period if fed more than 1,000 watts.

If you get an amp the maxes out 1,000 watts, and your speaker maxes out at 1,000 watts, that should be fine. But be careful and observe for any distortion.