Modern Funk Recommendations?

rchecka

You after modern sounding stuff or vintage sounding stuff?

Either really, as long as it's fairly new (maybe a couple of years old at most) and it's funk.

Cosign on these.

The Natural Yoghurt Band

The Heliocentrics

Mr Chop

The Budos Band

El Michels & Affiliates

Whitefield Brothers

Those I have a few of and adore that stuff, especially the Heliocentrics.

Isn't DAM Funk (From what I've heard) more sythpop\electro? I have a few of his songs and they are far from funk, although funky.

I'd call Dam-Funk Funk, but more like early-mid 80s west coast electro funk. I echo what Solemn says about his stuff being very samey though. There's a chunk of that early 80s throwback funk about, but it sounds like you're after late 60s/early 70s sounding stuff...All that Daptone/Dunhill stuff is pretty solid I think.

Don't know what sound the Poets Of Rhythm are playing now - they started in this sort of sound, but then went jazzier.

Oh check out Connie Price & The Keystones...

There's loads of that sound around, its just a bit varied in quality and authenticity of sound. The Daptone guys have got a shit hot analog/vintage studio, hence the quality of their sound.

Dam Funk (I prefer the instrumental version of the 4 CD album he did.

i used to love dam-funk and i still do actually but i don't like how every song basically sounds the same as he uses the same cheap synths in everything he does :ph34r:

Yeah, I can see how that could annoy some people but but I really like his sound. The singing I'm much less of a fan of. That's why I recommended the instrumentals.

Zapp. They're modern to me.

Zapp rules.

Isn't DAM Funk (From what I've heard) more sythpop\electro? I have a few of his songs and they are far from funk, although funky.

It certainly does play that line between the two but it's funky as hell and like Wax said, very west coast. Also look at all of what George Clinton was doing in the 80s and 90s and it's real similar. I think that synthpop sound kinda defines MODERN funk in a way. Otherwise it's kinda just throwback funk.

Speaking of which. This is one of my favorite bands. They are local. Simply amazing.

This is another real good local band called Brownout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ficodHaDU4&feature=related

The same members also play as a latin soul band under the name Grupo Fantasma:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwT5bUZm2a4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQZELd7D9aU

This guy has basically ripped off everything that Zapp ever did.

Ozone was growin up in the 80s and start to Breakdance/Boogaloo in 1984. Since them he love oldschool funk and electro. Now he produce his own music. He is big influenced by Roger Troutman & Zapp and the westcoast electro scene from the early 80s. He also inspired by artists like Paul Hardcastle, P-Funk Allstars,Egyptain Lover, The Glove, Dave Storrs... Bar-Kays, Midnight Star, One Way, John Davis, Supermax and many others... He did also some talkbox features for Lisha and Boys 2 Men. 2007 he released his first EP on vinyl called Westcoast Pioneers. Shortly after he finished his first album called Released and Unreleased Vol.1.

Additionally to make mention that he founded the group "The Talkbox Allstars". He produced the song "Talkbox Fever" (it´s on the album and ep).

Right now he is working every free second on the new album, it will be called "Released and Unreleased Vol.2". It should be expected on Summer 2008. You can get it directly from him self. Check the button Contact , there will be all details how you can order it.