IMPORTANT!: Please rearrange your record collections!

doppelkorn

It has been brought to my attention that music that I thought was hip hop is, in fact, not hip hop because it contained beats from a different and totally unrelated genre.

Given this startling new information I must ask you to please consider reclassifying any music you thought was hip hop if the beats came form any other genres such as:

Rock

Pop

Soul

Funk

Jazz

Blues

etc.

Thanks for your cooperation.

To illustrate some records which were previously considered hip hop I have prepared a handy guide.

Suagarhill Gang - Rappers Delight....new genre: funk

Afrikaa Bambataa - Planet Rock........new genre: electro

Run DMC - King of Rock....................new genre: rock

BDP - 9mm goes bang.......................new genre: reggae

De La Soul - Say no go......................new genre: soft rock

If you have any question please feel free to post them in this thread.

Hi Steve,

your song should be filed under "UK garage".

To clear up any confusion, you should only ever file albums under ONE category. If you have music that sounds like it might fall under two very closely related genres you must decide it solely by the drums. For example, if an album contains sampling, MCing and themes around the urban experience you might think it's a hip hop album BUT if the drums sound a bit garagey then it cannot be a hip hop album because...the drums sound a bit garagey, obviously! UK garage and hip hop couldn't be further apart in their sounds! How could I have made a link between the two?!

It would be insane to think an album fell under both. INSANE!!!!

As a further example, I've just recategorised my Kwame 12" of "You gotz 2 get down". It's the gogo remix and since the remix changes the drums to be in a distinct gogo style I had to put the record under my gogo section. That change in drums has literally stripped the record of any hip hop elements it ever had! How could I not have noticed.