Steve Jobs resigns

Steve

Apple CEO and co-founder Steve Jobs resigned as Chief Executive Officer from Apple Inc. today. His place a the top of the company will be taken by Time cook, previously Apple's Chief Operating Officer.

Jobs has been dogged by a string of health problems that have dogged Jobs in recent years and forced him to take periodic leaves of absence from the company. Jobs announced in January that he was taking an indefinite medical leave from Apple--his third in recent years--and handing over day-to-day responsibility to Cook.

More, including the official press release, here: -

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-20096895-248/steve-jobs-steps-down-from-apple/

Lol the cunt has changed the article now.

In the comments "You changed the face of computing forever."

The taps will open now, for all of the fanboys who want a mouthful (and arseful) of Jobs' cock.

I remember it.

"The Apple II became one of the most recognizable and successful computers during the 1980s and early 1990s. "

Rose tinted glasses? Didn't Apple almost go bankrupt during this time period?

It was. They were making computers when other companies said that there was no market for them. It was only when other companies started selling computers when they realised that there was a market for them that Apple started to struggle, not unlike Sinclair Research and the Spectrum (the best home computer ever made of course!).

And now people might understand why Apple stacked up so much money in the bank. This day was inevitable, as was the stock crash that will undoubtedly happen.

My opinion - Steve Jobs is a legendary leader and visionary that has revolutionised computing, music and telephony. I love their hardware and software, but do have issues with their business practices, both in the workplace and wider industry. I think Apple will easily survive after Jobs, as I have no doubt that the Apple roadmap has been laid out well in advance and has Steve Jobs written all over it.

For me, the ultimate accolade is this - Apple started out as an antidote to "The Man". Fighting Big Brother was key for Apple, but here we are, decades later and people still adore Apple, even though they have become "The Man". They are massive on an unimaginable scale, with market share in key areas that others can only dream of. Yet Steve Jobs' reality distortion field still manages to make them cool and desirable.

I fear that what we'll see after he dies is an Apple that lacks the charisma to carry off the cool. When Steve walks out on stage, we want to hear what he's going to say. It's his passion that has always come through. What we're left with is a bunch of employees who lack said charisma and will probably make the new products less interesting. I wonder if the keynote will even happen anymore.

Anyway, his retirement comes as no surprise, and the inevitable has been on the cards since the announcement of his authorised biography. I said when I watched the last keynote that he was quite emotional and I felt it would be his last.

I think it's time for him to think of him and his family. It's fair to say that he's achieved enough. Enjoy your retirement and thanks Steve.

My opinion - Steve Jobs is a legendary leader and visionary that has revolutionised computing, music and telephony. I love their hardware and software, but do have issues with their business practices, both in the workplace and wider industry. I think Apple will easily survive after Jobs, as I have no doubt that the Apple roadmap has been laid out well in advance and has Steve Jobs written all over it.

IMO he's the same as every other successful business-shark. Not more not less. And people from the commercial area should never be considered as leaders and/or visionaries. Conrad Zuse was maybee one in the computer area, but not somebody who made a commercial breakthrough with a product. But the general need for a scoop, is getting more attention. It's like Vestax-Poster-Boy Q-Bert gets all the attention, when it comes to vestax, but it was Shortkut and Rhettmatic, who were unsuccessfull in convincing numark to make a special designed mixer (the 05 pro) so they went to vestax and that was the start of the PMC-series...Anyways, so now he can hopefully spend his cash, now that he has the time

It may well end up like the Gates/Ballmer situation at MS. When Gates was in charge, their share price graph was a line that was pretty much steadily going up. Ballmer took over and it's been flat. They make huge profits, but there's no longer the growth. I think people often underestimate just how much a ship needs a good captain, cos they think "how much difference does one guy really make?" but in the case of people like Jobs and Gates, it makes a huge amount of difference. I don't know anything about Tim Cook.

I've never liked Steve Jobs. He's a backstabbing, smarmy, lying git, but he's a great businessman and to those that don't bother to read about the man, he's some "cool guy" because of the products Apple have put out. Bill Gates is barely any better and compared to Apple, Microsoft's brand image is piss poor. I guess the ruthless streak in these people is part of what got them to where they are though.

I really wish I had some cash in apple shares around 2004... at 7 dollars a pop you could have invested a few hundred quid and forgotten about them. now they are 375 (just short of their 400 high) Thats a great return!

I would be very sceptical though in investing in htem now, there could be some rocky roads ahead for the company.

As for Jobs though, It sounds like he doesnt have long left on the timer. I hope he doesnt suffer too much...