L.L. Cool J - Year Of The Hip-Hop getting released as a limited 10"

Steve

One of those rare LL tunes that was never officially released, but got played on the radio a bit: -

http://soundcloud.com/slice-of-spice/year-of-the-hip-hop-vocal

Sounds like DJ Scratch on the cuts. It's getting a release on 10" vinyl. A good collector's piece if you're a fan of L.L. Cool J. It'll be available here some time soon: -

http://slice-of-spice.com/

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just got this email: -

Hi Steve,

I’m going to have K-Def sign your test pressing of ‘Year Of The Hip Hop’ this week.

Please could you let me know if you just want his signature and a thank you message, or something more personal.

What would you have him write?

Can't wait to get my copy. It seems like it's taking a while to get pressed, but I suppose I can wait till November.

Fat Beats has a few preorders left apparently if anyone missed out.

I'd ask K-Def to write: Yo Sigma, you taught me everything I know about Hip Hop.

LOL Just kidding...

really I'd ask him to say something simple like "Thanks Sigma!" you helped spread the word about that record, I'm sure he appreciates it.

• 1 month later...

Nah, it's not snapped, but when I took the package out of that plastic bag it was totally soaked through. The inner/outer sleeve and label are soaking wet and it has that "water damage" stink. There's a big ring mark on the outer sleeve where the card has lost its stiffness due to being wet and the vinyl has left a mark on it. The ink has run/smudged in various places. The corners of the sleeve are bent and creased.

If it was a £5 second-hand record I'd have let it slide, but I bought this as a collector's piece and wanted to keep it mint. I've contacted Slice-of-Splice so I'll see what they have to say about it. Hopefully they pressed up some spares for situations like this, but if not, I'll return it to them and I want my money back.

They got back in touch with me and apologised. Literally only 10 of the test pressings were made, so they can't replace it. Thankfully, the record itself is fine and none of the ink on the labels has run.

They said that I could either return it for a refund, or they'd get a new jacket made and get K-Def to sign it, then send that out to me along with a new inner sleeve. I've gone for the latter option.

• 1 month later...