How hip hop changed the world

Motek

I thought it was a good program and featured a lot of valid points, and Dappy proving how much of an numpty he is...

It was great to see Cut Master Swift and Shortee Blitz explaining some of the developments of the turntablist side of things too. Hopefully a few young'uns saw it and have gone to research turntablism and hiphop djing more as a result.

It was good for people not into hip-hop or not that knowledgeable about it. I found it boring. It wasn't meant to be a documentary on how hip-hop started, so I think it was OK as a "how hip-hop changed the world" doc for people who didn't already know this stuff.

I didn't expect that top 50 countdown format though and that just made it bounce around all over the place.

There's more hip-hop programmes on C4 over the next few days. Graffiti Wars on Sunday night sounds like it might be good, cos it details the Banksy and King Robbo feud. Hopefully it's a little less mainstream focussed than this was.

It was good for people not into hip-hop or not that knowledgeable about it

That hits the nail on the head.

It was obviously put together by similar people.

It is a shame. It could have been good. But was wishy washy crap, thin on accuracy.

They should have got someone into Hip hop to help direct it. Then when the producer (or whoever) said "lets FUCK every shot of DJing with STUPID CUNTY CAMERA EFFECTS", the Hip hop adviser could have said - "No, don't do that. You chump. It will look really shit."

I'm glad they missed out the boring irrelevant shit like Rockit and Buffalo Gals, and included the key moments in Hip Hop like when So Solid hit the scene...

In fairness to C4, 2 hours isn't enough to cover everything, but a more linear timeline approach would have been considerably better and given the younger element a better appreciation and education of the scene.

And Jazzy Jay needs glasses is all I can say.

Did people vote for the top 50? I assume they did, which may explain the So Solid Crew being up there so high. Or perhaps I just never really saw the significance of that song.

It did piss me off that they edited pretty much every little clip of a guy on the decks though. The clips were short as it is! And then they said "here's Cutmaster Swift demonstrating scratching on Wogan", but he didn't even do any scratching in that particular clip. Talking of Swifty, does that guy ever age or what? He looks the same as he did on that BBC documentary in 1987.

I suppose it's gonna be hard to please people like us without putting the mainstream viewers off. It was better than "Beat This! A Hip-Hop History" though, Grae!

It was all "voted" for by some desk jockey at Channel 4 who had no clue about hip hop. He saw a mention of a guy called "Kool Herc" and thought who the fuck is he? Probably no one important. Bung him in at number 25. Now back to the camera effects . . . . I likes those, so I do. Must put more in. Oh give Nas a bunch of sleeping pills before we interview him, and keep tricking the audience into thinking we are saving the best until last . . . . . the joke's on them!! Now, must get this Hip hop list finished. I gotta do the top 50 fishing rods, and top 10 testicle injuries before lunch.

I certainly expected more, considering it was fronted by Stringer mother fucking Bell and was promoted as a documentary rather than a Channel 4 list show. It seems like the kind of show whose original pitch was probably quite good, but then when the TV bods got involved it got watered down and fiddled with until it became what was shown. Shame.

did anyone see the thing on bbc4 last night, interviews with jazzy jay, flash bambatta etc, really good taking about the proper roots.

Fab five freddy talking about meeting Blondie, and Chris Stein from blondie talking about it all.

a hell of a lot better than Idris and his shite.

There was also this on BBC 6 Music, which you can also listen to on iPlayer: -

Seven More Days that Rocked the World - The Release of Rapper's Delight

The song Rapper's Delight by the Sugarhill Gang was a multi-platinum seller and massive radio hit in 1979 and is regarded to have kick-started the phenomenon of recorded hip-hop.

Despite having received considerable chart success, selling over 8 million copies worldwide and inspiring hits by the likes of Blondie and Queen, the music industry as a whole reacted contemptuously; insisting that rap was a short-lived trend, simply a whim or fad.

Stuart looks the ways the track inspired a generation; how three local New York rappers plucked from the relative obscurity of underground bloc parties contributed towards rap becoming the biggest selling and most popular genres in music today.

I thought it got off to a good start with a bit of variety but then quickly became a shitfest

number 26 - soldja boy - superman

number 25 - kool herc

I mean really ?!

There were only about 3 or 4 entries I couldnt have predicted (having the sampler in the list but managed to miss technics 1210?)

the whole format was pretty much like this,

artist/group - big name had some success repeat x 10

here are some people breakdancing!

artist/group - big name had some success repeat x 10

here is some graffiti... banksy banksy!

artist/group - big name had some success repeat x 20

But the biggest suprise for me was actually number one....

I mean really? The president saying he likes hip hop and using famous artists to help his campaign ? If anything I would actually say that should be on the list of Hip Hops worst moments!