If you use IE6, you might literally be a retard

Steve

They have long had to grapple with a catalogue of bugs and viruses.

But now users of Internet Explorer have another reason to feel humiliated - they are more stupid too.

A study has found that those with Internet Explorer 6 installed on their computer typically have an IQ barely higher than 80 - which by some rankings makes them almost retarded.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2021211/Internet-Explorer-users-stupid-average-IQ-just-80.html

I thought "retarded" was a word that people avoided using these days? Mind you, it is the Daily Mail.

Here's the results of the study: -

http://www.aptiquant.com/IQ-Browser-AptiQuant-2011.pdf

And the average IQ of users of particular browsers and browser versions: -

retard!.jpg

I should point out that I'm an Opera user. ;)

lol surely this is a piss take? IE9 users have an IQ barely over IE6 users? And IE 8 users are smarter then 9 despite using an out of date browser? Having said that, I use firefox anyhow and it does size me up pretty well. I did an IQ test the other day and got a measly 105. it was the weirdest test I've ever done, nothing but weird symbols, give it a go here (also, interesting article):

http://onemansblog.c...the-highest-iq/

lol surely this is a piss take?

When I read it, I thought the Daily Mail had been hacked, lol. The survey seems legitimate, but I find the results very hard to believe. The sample size is plenty large enough and the test doesn't sound like it was biased in any particular way. Fuck knows. I would have thought that the majority of people using IE6 are doing so at work rather than at home, so maybe that has something to do with it - they didn't pay much attention to the test or something.

IE9 is a really good browser too!

The company that did the survey are now getting hate mail, lol: -

AptiQuant, the company that released the report titled ‘Intelligence Quotient (IQ) and Browser Usage’ about the relation between an individual’s IQ score and their choice of web browser yesterday, is being threatened with a lawsuit by a group of Internet Explorer users. Internet Explorer users were labelled as the ones having the lowest IQ as compared to other browsers mentioned in the report.

Leonard Howard, the CEO of the company said that he has been receiving hate mail from IE users since yesterday. He said, “I just want to make it clear that the report released by my company did not suggest that if you use IE that means you have a low IQ, but what it really says is that if you have a low IQ then there are high chances that you use Internet Explorer.” He further went on to say that the company did not feel threatened at all by the lawsuit threats because they have all the scientific data and logs to back their claims. “A win in a court would only give a stamp of approval and more credibility to our report,” he quipped.

The company spokesman said that they are really surprised by the unexpected attention that their study got. He said that the company first thought of doing this study when they were trying to add some new features to the website and found IE versions 6.0 and 7.0 extremely difficult to work with.

AptiQuant is a Vancouver, Canada based company that provides tools to corporates to help them measure the mental ability of existing or potential employees. In a report released yesterday, they had claimed that a study done by the company suggested that IE users have the lowest IQ as compared to other browsers.

http://www.aptiquant.com/news/aptiquant-threatened-with-a-lawsuit-by-loyal-internet-explorer-users/

Someone who knows the full details of this needs to break it down, cos I still find it highly suspect. I suppose there is an argument to be made, albeit a weak one, that someone with low intelligence may not update their browser for years, but then that might just be because they don't know much about computer software, not cos they're dummies. Fuck knows. I'm gonna try and find some more info, haha.

• Like 1

lol I hope the daily mail get some backlash from this for the language they chose to use in the article. Seemed like they were trying to incite stuff using the words 'almost retarded' and 'stupid' etc..