Ad-blocking tips

Steve

If you have any tips for blocking ads with the particular browser you use, post them up here.

Here's a couple for Opera users (i.e. me and Foly, lol): -

Facebook - You can block all ads on Facebook with THIS extension. I understand that this just hides the ads as they're hard-coded into the page, but the result is the same - you don't see any.

YouTube - One thing that is mildly annoying about YouTube is the ads that can pop up when you start watching videos. THIS extension will block those ads, and you can also configure it to block branded banners that appear under videos. It works perfectly while you're on YouTube, but unfortunately it won't block ads if you're watching an embedded video on a site other than YouTube, such as DV.

Another more general tip for Opera is to use a file called urlfilter.ini. In Opera, you can right-click on any page and choose "Block Content..." and then you can click on any images/ads you want to block. The URL of these images is added to urlfilter.ini, so it's great for blocking ads. You can find more info on this HERE. If you use someone else's pre-configured urlfilter.ini file to block ads and it's blocking something that you need to see, you can just right click on the page, choose "Block Content..." and then Opera will show you a list of things being blocked and you can unblock what you want.

Guest Symatic

adblockerplus is good for firefox.

i got rid of all the shit all over youtube. you can select any element and hide it like urlfilter.ini, so you get rid of all the 'trending' and 'most viewed' or whatever as well as ads.

i avoided problems with facebook by not signing up in the first place! it's totally fucked in the head!