suggestions for dv tutorial part 2

chile

What kinda scratches are you lot interested in learning? I dont have autobahms down so they're out of question for now. I'm thinking.......

flares, half flares, 2-1/1-2 flares (qbert calls em the hippopotamus scratch)

some faderless stuff, one handed and two handed

chirp flare combos

flirp combos

chirp two click orbits (got a few variations)

2 click orbit tears

half crab and full crab combos

transforms starting with reverse pullback

transform chirp to baby combos

any more suggestions? if i can do it i'll try break it down

Chile I have to say all those you mentioned sound bloody marvellous. I'm still working my way through the last video and its proving invaluable. I look forward to the next slice of chile scratch pie with great expectations!

bring on the faderless stuff man!

do you use upfaders much? (i know you have wierd upfaders on your mixer though)

yeah i started doing upfader stuff a few months ago, im nowhere near Q's level with em but i'll try encorporate them into some faderless patterns as they can be very complimentary techniques.

For me faderless definitely. That's me being purely selfish!

if i have the time i'll do the three basic tears, tears with babies to mimic faderless chirp flares, tip to babies..

Chile I have to say all those you mentioned sound bloody marvellous. I'm still working my way through the last video and its proving invaluable. I look forward to the next slice of chile scratch pie with great expectations!

cheers, i'm aiming to be a little more concise this time round too so there will hopefully be much less 'ers' and 'urms' hah.

Aren't these the same thing? chirp flare combos, flirp combos

nah flirps are chirps and flares combined in one from my understanding of the term anyway. its a open fader scratch that has the 1 click flare points in it along with a click when you close the sound in a chirp to get the sharp sound before opening it to hear the turn back of the record. so it has 3 clicks in all. its notated here if that didnt make sense

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/12/combochart2010.jpg (jus look for chirp flirp at the top right corner and disregard the chirp.. 4 sounds in all from 3 clicks)

flirps on their own sound very much like flares although sharper as if they were transformed. but its not a transformed flare because its an open fader scratch. a transformed flare involves 4 fader clicks whereas a flirp involves 3, which makes it a great scratch to learn if you have 3 click orbits or other 3 click combos down already.

Chile, Trice was telling me about some crescent flare kind of combo's you do, you should put a tute up about them coz no one knows what the hell they're for!

i think hes referring to flirp patterns altho i could be wrong. i dont know what crescents are altho i heard crescents being used interchangeably with clover tears.. i dont know anyhow.

The other thing that I thought of that might be nice and would certainly be very useful is if at the end you could do a little routine which mostly incorporates (or only uses) the scratches which you go through in the tutorial.

From my own perspective learning the individual techniques is extremely valuable but it would be really useful to have a summary of how they can be strung together.

I know you only have 10 mins but even 30 seconds at the end would really help to understand how independent scratches can be combined in cohesive and exciting ways.

Just a suggestion, feel free to disregard it :p

cheers, i'm aiming to be a little more concise this time round too so there will hopefully be much less 'ers' and 'urms' hah.

heh, yea there was a bit of skipping required when watching it fir the 20th time :p

nah flirps are chirps and flares combined in one from my understanding of the term anyway. its a open fader scratch that has the 1 click flare points in it along with a click when you close the sound in a chirp to get the sharp sound before opening it to hear the turn back of the record. so it has 3 clicks in all. its notated here if that didnt make sense

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/12/combochart2010.jpg (jus look for chirp flirp at the top right corner and disregard the chirp.. 4 sounds in all from 3 clicks)

flirps on their own sound very much like flares although sharper as if they were transformed. but its not a transformed flare because its an open fader scratch. a transformed flare involves 4 fader clicks whereas a flirp involves 3, which makes it a great scratch to learn if you have 3 click orbits or other 3 click combos down already.

Jesus Christ there is like a years worth of practice in that one sheet. Terrifying and amazing all at the same time!

Edited by Motek

The other thing that I thought of that might be nice and would certainly be very useful is if at the end you could do a little routine which mostly incorporates (or only uses) the scratches which you go through in the tutorial.

From my own perspective learning the individual techniques is extremely valuable but it would be really useful to have a summary of how they can be strung together.

I know you only have 10 mins but even 30 seconds at the end would really help to understand how independent scratches can be combined in cohesive and exciting ways.

Just a suggestion, feel free to disregard it :p

thats a real good idea actually. i'll try fit what i can into 9 minutes then do a 45 second freestyle with the stuff i had time to fit in. nice one

oh yeh im gonna try to notate stuff much more neatly this time not using a shitty white board... hopefully it shouldnt be hard to incorporate a jpeg or something of the scratch into the video footage. would that be alright symatic?

pz

[

Aren't these the same thing? chirp flare combos, flirp combos

Chile, Trice was telling me about some crescent flare kind of combo's you do, you should put a tute up about them coz no one knows what the hell they're for!

i think hes referring to flirp patterns altho i could be wrong. i dont know what crescents are altho i heard crescents being used interchangeably with clover tears.. i dont know anyhow.

Dope man, would love to see some of this stuff. I've never seen any tutorials on what you call flirps so it should be nice and original like you wanted. Looks like you could do a whole tutorial on that ish! Your chirp stuff is a bit mental.

They do sound kinda like crescents but don't think they are, crescents are a transform with a flare on the pull back, they're not the same as clover tears.

• 3 weeks later...

holy shit chile! now thats a list

yeah i dig the faderless stuff but,

I'm leaning towards chirp flare combos

flirp combos

chirp two click orbits

2 click orbit tears (i'm trying to learn more 2 clicky stuff))

thats just me though.

you gotta alot for only 9 min

& def. busta free @ the end.

looking foward to it

Cheers man!

Guest Symatic

i'll try fit what i can into 9 minutes then do a 45 second freestyle with the stuff i had time to fit in. nice one

oh yeh im gonna try to notate stuff much more neatly this time not using a shitty white board... hopefully it shouldnt be hard to incorporate a jpeg or something of the scratch into the video footage. would that be alright symatic?

pz

I think you should be able to upload longer than 10 mins if you upgrade your account. i can upload long vids cos i changed to a director account but i wouldnt be surprised if youtube fucked that stuff off now.

with the images i know it can be done i just havent done it before, ill experiment with the ttn you sent me.

i think there should be a 'faderless special' episode, and a flare-based one. 10 mins is an alright length so we can keep em concise.

hope your hand's better man, could do with getting some editing done cos im applying for a job with a film studio, need more practice!

peas

To be fair I'm gonna go back and change the notation now because I don't think I'm gonna be covering faderless stuff since it's mostly already been demonstrated. Just look for Qbert's DIY 1 and 2 on Youtube if you want to learn about tears and the other main faderless stuff, or go to the ever tutorial. I just don't wanna do shit thats already been done cause I'm not really adding anything new to whats already out there. I'm gonna concentrate on flirp combos instead, will be a few weeks till I get round to doing it though as I'm off to London for a week or so tommorow.

pz

To be fair I'm gonna go back and change the notation now because I don't think I'm gonna be covering faderless stuff since it's mostly already been demonstrated. Just look for Qbert's DIY 1 and 2 on Youtube if you want to learn about tears and the other main faderless stuff, or go to the ever tutorial. I just don't wanna do shit thats already been done cause I'm not really adding anything new to whats already out there. I'm gonna concentrate on flirp combos instead, will be a few weeks till I get round to doing it though as I'm off to London for a week or so tommorow.

pz

Can we have a cutting sesh this time?? :)

pz

Can we have a frantic lube-drenched wanking sesh this time?? :)

Bit forward of you isn't it? Keep it on PM guys

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...