What's the latest consensus on good web hosting?

Chris

I am with justhost at the moment and they are appallingly bad. There does seem to be the occasional good egg in support but it's definitely the exception not the rule, and the fact I've had to be in touch with support numerous times in the short time I've been running the site is an indication of the problems.

The site's been slow for a day or so and this evening has started to totally flake out, saying the disk is full and just throwing php errors instead of loading the site, or only loading selected parts of the site. It's an absolute nightmare that I am pretty much kicking myself for signing up for, but fool that I am I thought I'd save a few quid. I think it's costing me £50 for two years - it was £100 and the price was initially one of the reasons I thought they'd be okay, funnily enough. It was when I left just before payment to have one more look around and they offered me it half price to stay that my arm was twisted.

Ideally I don't want to go with a £20 a month host just to make sure, but I do need someone with a proper UK support team, fast servers, and reliable up time. What's this site on in the end, Steve? It seems to be good, and has scaled well to the increased traffic lately...

So, Steve, Giz, and anyone else with experience... any recommendations?

really? huh... maybe i'm just unlucky. opinions for them seem very split. they're moving me to another server, hopefully it'll be faster and larger... fingers crossed.

i'm still after recommendations for a decent host though, i could do without the headaches.

I can't recommend anything mate. I've had issues with every host I've used. Our current host, Bluehost, "guarantees" three 9 up time, which means no more than 10 minutes of down time per week, but the site is inaccessible for longer than that pretty much every week. They're just the best of a bad bunch, so not something I would recommend to you.

I'd stay away from Justhost. I used them for my old portfolio site when it was up and running (also because of the price). Their servers are slow as hell and not very secure. My site was hacked twice (and so was my mates) and they did f*ck all about it. Had to go in myself and remove Iframe hacks etc.

Customer service is patchy and they never give you any notice when your subscription is about to expire, but just take your site down without warning! Would be nice with an email a week before or something.

I'd highly recommend Mediatemple. Probably the best hosting money can buy. A bit on the expensive side, but up time is great, customer service is top notch (and 24/7), and their servers are lightning fast.

Cheers guys. It went down again last night, apparently someone was running a heavy script. They must be running basically zero redundancy on their servers if one person can turn an entire server into the Titanic.

I don't like the sound of hacking at all.

I might go with Media Temple in the end. I know they're great, especially customer service wise, as I know a few people who've recommended them, but the only thing nagging away at me is I've had a couple of scare stories about their grid hosting being patchy. And at their prices I don't even want to read one disappointed customer.