Decent hip hop from this year

doppelkorn

In the spirit of generosity and goodwill to all men that comes at this time of year, I'm feeling open to trying new experiences, and I don't mean docking.

So I'm looking for some of hip hop's highlightsthis year (or from the past 5). If you don't know what I like then it's more like 80s and eaarly 90s...not crunk, not southern and not electro-hop.

Do your worst!

2010 was a vintage year..

foreign beggars, kashmere, verb-t, roskrypz, cappo, mowgli, ty

marcberg, little bro, ultramagentic foundation, gangrene, nas & damien marley

more still but i haven't checked them

Edited by Matt3r

2010 was a vintage year..

foreign beggars, kashmere, verb-t, roskrypz, cappo, mowgli, ty

marcberg, little bro, ultramagentic foundation, gangrene, nas & damien marley

more still but i haven't checked them

Marcberg could be album of the year

That Ghostface one is pretty cool

Jay Electronica was meh

Kanye: I really really dislike that rhyme technique that everyone has of repeatedly rhyming the last 2 or 3 syllables of a verse

Talib Kweli: see above

Murs a 9th wonder: a rap cover? still isn't like "wow"

That Celph stuff is cool

My main thing is it all sounds like it came out in 2000. Nothing moves on. I'm not deliberately trying to be negative but I much prefer golden era/80s to this and not because I grew up then (I didn't) but it just sounds nicer to my ear.

Production technique in hip hop literally hasn't changed since 3 feet high. Can anyone deny that?

I'd definitely say production has changed - theres more subtle chopping, more live instrumentation added.

There's a lot more stuff sampling modern soul, whereas in the 90s/golden era it was a lot about jazz loops. People sample stuff with vocals a lot more these days too.

The reason you'll like the Celph Titled/Buckwild is that the beats are all old Buckwild beats from the early-mid 90s.

In addition on the production tip, the main evolution is probably all the offshoot beaty hip hop like the Flylo, Dibiase, GLK etc which moves forwards with some aspects of Dilla's sound.

So yeah i'd definitely say it's moved on. I prefer listening to modern stuff now. If i go back to check out an album from say, 92 or 93 which i've never really listened to before, it tends not to hold my attention as much as newer stuff

Lyrically i can't really comment, as i don't listen that intently to words.

I'd definitely say production has changed - theres more subtle chopping, more live instrumentation added.

There's a lot more stuff sampling modern soul, whereas in the 90s/golden era it was a lot about jazz loops. People sample stuff with vocals a lot more these days too.

The reason you'll like the Celph Titled/Buckwild is that the beats are all old Buckwild beats from the early-mid 90s.

In addition on the production tip, the main evolution is probably all the offshoot beaty hip hop like the Flylo, Dibiase, GLK etc which moves forwards with some aspects of Dilla's sound.

So yeah i'd definitely say it's moved on. I prefer listening to modern stuff now. If i go back to check out an album from say, 92 or 93 which i've never really listened to before, it tends not to hold my attention as much as newer stuff

Lyrically i can't really comment, as i don't listen that intently to words.

Point taken kind of Wax but I disagree about the Jazz. Maybe on certain stuff but the artist to sample in the golden era was James Brown surely? now Kanye samles more obscure soul and yeah, he does sample a bit more of the vocal but it's not making the sound that much different.

I'd agree that "beat" music if you wanna call it that is quite different.

Maybe it's because you don't listen to the words, and again I'm not being deliberately "back in my day" here, but if Kanye came out with his sloppy shit on "The Symphony" it would sound gash. You'd probably say "that's not his style" but his style doesn't fit any beat. I've said it before but Chubb Rock's ryhmes work off the beat. The percussive sounds work with the drums and the vowels work with the more meoldic parts. Kanye just drawls over everything. Not just Kanye but a lot of today's rappers. You can nod your head to it IN SPITE of the lyrics, rather than along to the lyrics.

Maybe we've just got different tastes on this issue. Well we definately have.

See you all in December 2011 for my ill-informed dismissal of next year's hip-hop output!

The James Brown thing was probably say, 87-92 or something (at a guess) but then say 90-95 or something, particularly in east coast stuff it was a lot of jazz loops and dusty drum breaks. I always prefered that stuff to the earlier stuff.

But when i started listening to rap i preferred the early 90s stuff, but then gradually over time seemed to work my way through the 90s and i've kind of caught up now, my tastes have definitely shifted. I like Kanye's drawl, and another drawl rapper I've started listening to that I quite like is Curren$y, who was previously on Lil Wayne's label.

I can see why you'd like rap that works with the beat rigidly like that, but i seem to like a fair bit of sloppy stuff, Ghostface, Jay Z, MF Doom, Kanye etc.

Someone I definitely need to listen to more of though is Slick Rick. He's someone i've always heard bits of but never really bothered much with. But he smashes it on this Mos Def tue IMO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT-hYXqTN38

I guess the reason i talk up on this stuff is that I used to think hip hop died in about '95, but there's still stuff for everyone around, and I like that I can get excited about new releases and stuff. I'm sure there'll be stuff around which you could enjoy, it's just not the same stuff which I enjoy.

The James Brown thing was probably say, 87-92 or something (at a guess) but then say 90-95 or something, particularly in east coast stuff it was a lot of jazz loops and dusty drum breaks. I always prefered that stuff to the earlier stuff.

But when i started listening to rap i preferred the early 90s stuff, but then gradually over time seemed to work my way through the 90s and i've kind of caught up now, my tastes have definitely shifted. I like Kanye's drawl, and another drawl rapper I've started listening to that I quite like is Curren$y, who was previously on Lil Wayne's label.

I can see why you'd like rap that works with the beat rigidly like that, but i seem to like a fair bit of sloppy stuff, Ghostface, Jay Z, MF Doom, Kanye etc.

Someone I definitely need to listen to more of though is Slick Rick. He's someone i've always heard bits of but never really bothered much with. But he smashes it on this Mos Def tue IMO:

I guess the reason i talk up on this stuff is that I used to think hip hop died in about '95, but there's still stuff for everyone around, and I like that I can get excited about new releases and stuff. I'm sure there'll be stuff around which you could enjoy, it's just not the same stuff which I enjoy.

I agree on the JB point there wax.

Slick Rick is the shiz, I'm not sure if he's ever bettered his 1st album though (but I would say that, lol).

All I will say is I will reply to this in full after Xmas. I can't expand past that at this stage :ph34r:

I guess this came out last year, but I heard it this year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt22KvnRSL4

This is a local group, so I doubt anybody heard them, but I like it a lot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BD89Yb3YxQ

This is another local vid I liked:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjWKv-wzS4w

that madlib beat is sick! loved that track. mos lp was pretty forgettable tbh

sick right here

can't front on this it is the shit