omgomgomg Vekked has a blog?

Vekked

No I don't. But I'm starting one, dedicated to the foundation and history of scratch styles. This is the intro for the blog, if you can think of anything to add/remove/change let me know.

A lot of scratch DJs these days don't know their roots. The foundation for a lot of new scratch DJs comes from Qbert's DIY DVDs. Even some DMC champions probably don't have much knowledge of scratching from the pre-Skratch Piklz era, except maybe from Scratch. I'm definitely guilty of not knowing my roots as well as I could too. Part of it is that maybe DJs these days are just lazy, and just don't care enough about the culture and the history of our artform, but another part of it is that it's not exactly easy to find all of the tracks that introduced new styles of scratching when you're trying to do it retrospectively. It was probably a lot easier if you lived through it and heard these tracks when they were brand new. It's a bit overwhelming and hard to know where to start when trying to learn exactly how scratching came to be what it is now. That's where this blog comes in.

The purpose of this blog is to get a thorough collection of old school scratch styles from the DJs and tracks that introduced and popularized them. Hopefully by doing this it will make it easier for DJs interested in the history of scratching to learn about it. I hope that by making it easier, it will in turn ensure that the innovators of scratching are remembered both for the tracks and recordings that they made, as well as by having a direct influence on present and future scratch DJs.

I'm going to be focusing on tracks and DJs that introduced new styles mainly on from 1983-1991, moving chronologically as much as possible. I'm starting in 1983 because I'd like to try and keep the focus on style, and the development of style in scratching. Although Grandmaster Flash and Grand Wizzard Theodore were the pioneers and inventors of the art and deserve all the respect and props for that, I feel like it wasn't until Grand Mixer DXT and Rockit that scratching began to become stylish and musical, and that is what I would like to explore and document, as opposed to just any track that had scratching and became somewhat popular.

So hopefully I can do this some justice and get a good collection together of tracks that a lot of people may have forgotten or never heard. I will undoubtedly have some areas that are skipped over or some mistaken facts, so if there are any old school cats who can correct me and help me fill in some blanks I would appreciate it. Happy scratching!

-[Vekked]

Basically I feel like one of the issues with scratching/turntablism/battling is that a lot of DJs don't know their roots or the foundation of different styles. I think this results in certain things getting lost over the years. I'd rather hear Joe Cooley scratching and study his style than learn "the Joe Cooley scratch". Maybe I'm alone on this but regardless I've got nearly 100 tracks and counting from 83-91 gathered up and I'm going to start posting them along with any original samples (for the DVS users to try the cuts themselves)/instrumentals/further listening where applicable in order to try to get a decent collection all in one place. I was originally going to do scratch history entirely, but I'm more interested in keeping the theme of "style" and have it be like a resource for learning different rhythms and flows that maybe get overlooked nowadays.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the support guys. I'll def need some help from some of the veterans of the scratch game around here in finding some tracks and making it as good as possible. I'll have something started for people to check within the week, just finishing up some papers at the moment.

Thanks for the support guys. I'll def need some help from some of the veterans of the scratch game around here in finding some tracks and making it as good as possible. I'll have something started for people to check within the week, just finishing up some papers at the moment.

I have plenty of suggestions for you.

Start with Rockit, obviously

Include the likes of: Fresh Mess (jam-your radio) (Knights of the Turntables), 2,3,break (both versions, BBoys and D.J. Born Supreme Allah), deuce ace housin (Tuff Crew), We Come to (scratch) (Imperial Bothers) and so on.

It depends how in depth you want to go, but there are plenty of "mostly scratching" tracks from that era. Maybe even include "DJ Cuttin'" by "the NYC Cutter" (Marley Marl) . . . . . maybe ;)

For tracks that had good cuts in the 80's, but weren't just scratching (had rapping too!) - The Magnificent Jazzy Jeff (Jeff and Prince), Aladdin's on a Rampage (Low Pro), Ugly People Be Quiet (Cash and Marvellous), King Cutt (Word of Mouth), The Tables are Turning (CJ and Einstein)

I got a million of 'em

i suggest that you start your blog off with some early 90's scratching rather than 1983. i think it would be better if people got the jist of scratching first before they can truly appreciate the old skool.

once they see the technical aspect of early - mid 90's scratching, they can listen to 80's scratching and understand the foundation of it all.

I have plenty of suggestions for you.

Start with Rockit, obviously

Include the likes of: Fresh Mess (jam-your radio) (Knights of the Turntables), 2,3,break (both versions, BBoys and D.J. Born Supreme Allah), deuce ace housin (Tuff Crew), We Come to (scratch) (Imperial Bothers) and so on.

It depends how in depth you want to go, but there are plenty of "mostly scratching" tracks from that era. Maybe even include "DJ Cuttin'" by "the NYC Cutter" (Marley Marl) . . . . . maybe ;)

For tracks that had good cuts in the 80's, but weren't just scratching (had rapping too!) - The Magnificent Jazzy Jeff (Jeff and Prince), Aladdin's on a Rampage (Low Pro), Ugly People Be Quiet (Cash and Marvellous), King Cutt (Word of Mouth), The Tables are Turning (CJ and Einstein)

I got a million of 'em

Awesome, thanks for all the suggestions/ideas! I thought I had a lot already but I only had the bolded on my list so far. I'll probably message you asking for more suggestions as I go on if that's cool with you!

i suggest that you start your blog off with some early 90's scratching rather than 1983. i think it would be better if people got the jist of scratching first before they can truly appreciate the old skool.

once they see the technical aspect of early - mid 90's scratching, they can listen to 80's scratching and understand the foundation of it all.

I might get into some early 90s stuff later on, but my aim is to focus the roots/originators of different styles/techniques and such and see the development. I don't think it would make as much sense going from half-way through and jumping backwards.

From the stuff I've gathered/listened to so far I don't think it's that hard to appreciate the 80s stuff really, since the fact that the scratching/tracks were good in the first place is sort of what made scratching popular. If they weren't that accessible they wouldn't have become classics like they are (I don't think).

if that's cool with you!

No problem.

Also check out: So watcha saying (EPMD), Master Of The Mix (UTFO), Daddy Rich in the Land Of the 1210s (3rd Bass), The Syndicate (Ice T) - wicked cuts about 2:10 in

Oh, and this gem -

Dj Man Cuts It Up Part II (Shy D + Dj Man)

Note that the Shy D/DJ Man track has some of the earliest transformer scratching ;) With a foot long fader.

Some other DJs I would feature: -

DJ Man (did a few scratch tracks on different artist's albums)

Mister Mixxx (2 Live Crew's DJ, who did the odd scratch track)

Grand Dragon K.D. (Steady B's DJ, who was the first to do the transformer scratch on a track)

Supreme & Undercover (Hijack's DJs, who had some crazy styles)

Howie Tee (He didn't scratch on many tracks, but he was a very good DJ with an individual style)

DJ Miz (Beat Aladdin in a couple of battles and did some tracks with Freshco)

DJ Skill (another solid DJ who did the scratches for the group, The Alliance)

Jazzy J (not the original Jazzy Jay, this one did the cuts for an artist called Robbie B)

Bobcat (the DJ that did the good scratching for LL Cool J)

Johnny Juice Rosado (the DJ that did the good scratching for Public Enemy - check the Getaway remix of "You Gonna Get Yours")

DJ Scratch (took over from K La Boss as EPMD's DJ - maybe even throw in K La Boss's scratch track from EPMD's first album too)

C.J. Mackintosh (one of the best scratch DJs in the UK at the time. Grae mentioned him above, but he also did a scratch remix of Sly & Robbie's "Boops (Here To Go)")

Knights of the Turntables were probably the first crew to put out tracks that were just scratching over beats, apart from B sides of records and dub mixes.

Here's the better mix of a Cash Money tune that doesn't get much recognition cos it wasn't on their album: -

that's the best version!

here's an old track with some power cuts

12 inches the hard way, by Wax Master Torey and DJ Sound Machine

click me!

I got a million of 'em

Oh ya, I'm definitely going to be posting/open to posting tracks that are mainly rapping as long as they have cuts that are worth putting up for people to check. Likewise, if there's a track that is 100% cutting but the cuts aren't particularly interesting/good or something I won't bother putting them up. I'm going to mostly go by year and put up what I have/think is worth posting to start, and then check up with some guys like you/Steve/other guys who knows the era much better than I do to see if there's anything I overlooked, since obviously I don't plan on being able to hit every key track.

That said, for 1983 I've already for Rockit on the menu, but I'm not sure if there's anything else I should put up from that year before I move to 84 or not. The other tracks I have for '83 are:

"Military Cut" Grand Wizzard Theodore & Kevvie Kev Rockwell ("Wild Style" S/T) (1983)

"King of the Beat" Pumpkin (1983)

"Ultimate Scratch" Uncle Jamm's Army/Egyptian Lover (1983)

"What is a DJ if he can't scratch?" Uncle Jamm's Army/Egyptian Lover (1983)

Military Cut and Ultimate Scratch I didn't find the cuts overly inspiring or anything, I don't think I heard any on "What is a DJ if he can't scratch?" ironically, loll. After listening to King of the Beat again I think it's probably worth posting for sure, sounds like some of the earliest tears in their maybe, and the cuts are pretty funky. Thoughts?

Some other DJs I would feature: -

DJ Man (did a few scratch tracks on different artist's albums)

Mister Mixxx (2 Live Crew's DJ, who did the odd scratch track)

Grand Dragon K.D. (Steady B's DJ, who was the first to do the transformer scratch on a track)

Supreme & Undercover (Hijack's DJs, who had some crazy styles)

Howie Tee (He didn't scratch on many tracks, but he was a very good DJ with an individual style)

DJ Miz (Beat Aladdin in a couple of battles and did some tracks with Freshco)

DJ Skill (another solid DJ who did the scratches for the group, The Alliance)

Jazzy J (not the original Jazzy Jay, this one did the cuts for an artist called Robbie B)

Bobcat (the DJ that did the good scratching for LL Cool J)

Johnny Juice Rosado (the DJ that did the good scratching for Public Enemy - check the Getaway remix of "You Gonna Get Yours")

DJ Scratch (took over from K La Boss as EPMD's DJ - maybe even throw in K La Boss's scratch track from EPMD's first album too)

C.J. Mackintosh (one of the best scratch DJs in the UK at the time. Grae mentioned him above, but he also did a scratch remix of Sly & Robbie's "Boops (Here To Go)")

Knights of the Turntables were probably the first crew to put out tracks that were just scratching over beats, apart from B sides of records and dub mixes.

Sick list steve. Ok out of those DJs, the ones that I have nothing for at this point are:

Grand Dragon K.D.

Howie Tee

Jazzy J

Bobcat

Johnny Juice Rosado (have the Getaway remix of you gonna get yours, but nothing else)

C.J. Mackintosh

Any suggestions on which tracks/releases to look for stuff on, or do you have any tracks that they do nice cuts on?

Sick list steve. Ok out of those DJs, the ones that I have nothing for at this point are:

Grand Dragon K.D.

Howie Tee

Jazzy J

Bobcat

Johnny Juice Rosado (have the Getaway remix of you gonna get yours, but nothing else)

C.J. Mackintosh

Any suggestions on which tracks/releases to look for stuff on, or do you have any tracks that they do nice cuts on?

For Howie Tee, get Bang Zoom (lets go go). Short, but super sharp scratch break. Might be some good cuts on the "Whistle" album (the "only bugging" guys) - HT was "silver spinner"

Jazzy J - Jazzy J on the scratch (Robbie B + Jazzy Jay)

Bobcat - Jack the Ripper has some good Bobcat scratching. Also Go Cut Creator Go has some good cuts on it (it aint cut creator!!!)

CJ Mackintosh - you need "The tables are turning" - I have a good mp3 rip of that I can upload for you. Also CJ did the scratching on Pump Up the Volume - but you HAVE to find the original version (the one that got pulled because of copyright issues - with the carwash sample)

Here are some youtube vids for the above . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ-23ZkOzv0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6POS-sWYGk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsztsS2SX-4

The tears that bobcat does in ^^^ are super sweet. Before I knew that scratch as a tear, we (me and Steve) called them "bobcats"!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjKmXBiNnuA

CJ did almost every scratch in the book (at the time)

He did these slower tears - slower than bobcat's "bobcats". We called them "CJ's".

Also on the CJ Tables are Turning 12" was an acapella version - so good for scratching on, that we wore our copies out, back in the 80's, on the old BSR direct drive turntables.

After listening to King of the Beat again I think it's probably worth posting for sure, sounds like some of the earliest tears in their maybe, and the cuts are pretty funky. Thoughts?

That is true! Those are the earliest tears on vinyl. At least as far as I know.

Pumpkin was the session drummer at Sugarhill. Hence why he was the "king of the beats" (or king of the pizza?)

Grand Dragon K.D.: -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRL6UYmC6dY

There's not much scratching on that track, but it's the first track that came out with transforming on it.

Howie Tee: -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ-23ZkOzv0

Again, not a lot of scratching on it. An early one from 1984, although the aaaaah scratching is Mixmaster Ice from U.T.F.O.: -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umqdZLumlB0

Jazzy J: -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydKiPf1h0mg

There's 2 tracks there, plus there's this one: -

Bobcat: -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsztsS2SX-4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChsY42jB4Ms

If you listen to some old LL tracks, almost all the scratching is done by Bobcat, so take your pick.

C.J. Mackintosh: -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjKmXBiNnuA

There's also his remix of Sly & Robbie's "Boops" that I mentioned, but that's not on YouTube. He also did the scratching on Pump Up The Volume by M/A/R/R/S which you've probably heard: -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B87snXgV7Pg

That's a shit version. The original version is the one you want. A sample had to be cut out of the original because of clearance issues (a sample of "Roadblock" by Stock, Aitken and Waterman of all people).

For Johnny Juice, try "Give Me The Mike" by Kings of Pressure. Johnny posts on Skratchlounge too, so you could ask him which tracks have good examples of his cuts, cos I dunno exactly which groups he worked with outside PE and Kings of Pressure.

Curt Cazal of J.V.C. F.O.R.C.E.: -

Here's a good DJ Man track: -

http://www.4shared.com/file/137232832/e3e7fd39/B4_-_Mega_Mix_Feat_Dj_Man.html

There's also DJ Magic Mike. Get the track "Who Am I?" by DJ Magic Mike and DJ Chief. EDIT - I've uploaded it for you: -

http://www.4shared.com/audio/vtaNj-9B/DJ_Magic_Mike__DJ_Chief_-_Who_.html

Surely It would be better to cycle through the years ie one post one year, another post the next year, then go back to the start once you get to a certain year.... or itll get boring

I was gonna take that approach to my radio show Doob, starting in 1979 but rap from one year all sounds the same, especially in the early years. It makes sense to do it at least in 5 year blocks. Mind you if you're covering it in detail, going into technical niceties of scratching maybe you could ge away with it.