Battle DJ's

djfoly

2008:

Slyce -

and that's an example of a dope battle set? shit sucked ass. the sound bank is hellish, and his cuts were sloppy. i switched off about 2 mins in, can't comment on the remainder.

i know this shit aint easy, but fuck, he has a pair of customs, and that's the best he could do, and people are feeling that? is my finger off the pulse....

2008:

Slyce -

and that's an example of a dope battle set? shit sucked ass. the sound bank is hellish, and his cuts were sloppy. i switched off about 2 mins in, can't comment on the remainder.

i know this shit aint easy, but fuck, he has a pair of customs, and that's the best he could do, and people are feeling that? is my finger off the pulse....

I never liked that routine either, it sounds like he's just trying to tick all the boxes. His interview on the DMC dvd suggested that's what he was going for too: he was convinced he'd won because he thought he had everything covered- ie conforming to the system rather than trying to win by being himself. Don't get me wrong he's technically good but it's just boring for me... His System of a Down section was cool but could have been crazier.

I love i-emerge's cuts, really aggressive and funky simultaneously. I've always dug his routines- he should have won supremacy the year he lost out to akakakbe too- worst judges' decision in the time I've been following the competiton. He's def an influence on my battle style in terms of techniques (sound not so much)

I love i-emerge's cuts, really aggressive and funky simultaneously. I've always dug his routines- he should have won supremacy the year he lost out to akakakbe too- worst judges' decision in the time I've been following the competiton. He's def an influence on my battle style in terms of techniques (sound not so much)

Arguable...

2008:

Slyce -

Lol, the first 2 mins are def the worst part of the set, I think the last half is worth a watch though...

EDIT: Probs one of the only reasons I like it is that he actually juggles in this routine, which is nearly a lost art these days..

Arguable...

He was definetly the clear winner of that round. He might have lost points to his opponent because he was using customs, which were new to battles at the time... In my opinion he should have won both the solos and supremacy that year

Arguable...

He was definetly the clear winner of that round. He might have lost points to his opponent because he was using customs, which were new to battles at the time... In my opinion he should have won both the solos and supremacy that year

IMO it was close enough that I think if akakabe doesn't skip, he wins 100%. The skip makes it a lot closer and makes it hard to judge because it's not like it ruined his routine, he recovered and killlled it.

Like I-emerge's juggle is being driven by the records. Every time his juggle builds to something else, it's because he moves to a different section on the record. When Akakabe recovers from his skip, his juggle builds consistently and it's entirely a product of his own patterns/composition with his patterns. Even with Akakabe's skip I think he shows way more technical patterns, good composition, and his patterns are really clean.

The 2nd round neither absolutely kill it, but neither were wack by any means. I'd probably give it to I-emerge because Akakabe does a little too much of that crossfader + line switch stuff.

I think it's basically one of the textbook examples of a super close battle. Saying either was definitely a clear winner is definitely a clear overstatement.

Akakabe wasn't by any means wack at all- he was great that year, but from memory i always thought Iermege was the clear winner- i think i always marked him down in my head for his second round with the line/xfader tricks. I'll watch it again :)