Speed up your PC's boot time with Soluto

Steve

This is a really slick piece of software. You install it, reboot your PC, and it analyses everything that happens during the boot process. It'll then give you a list of all of the apps and services that start up during boot time, and it splits them into 3 categories: -

Can't be removed with Soluto

Potentially removable

No-brainer

It shows you how many seconds (or tenths of a second) each process adds to your boot time and as long as the process is in the "potentially removable" or "no-brainer" category, you can choose to either delay it (so you have to start it manually) or pause it (so it starts after the PC has booted and when your computer is idle). It gives you recommendations of what to do for each process, and it also shows you a pie chart showing what other users did with that particular process. You can easily reverse any of the decisions you make too.

Soluto is free and very easy to use, so I'd recommend giving it a go: -

http://www.soluto.com/

nice one Steve. Does it handle dual boot?

That I don't know mate. Give it a try and see.

I have noticed a negative with this app that may make it useless for some. It said that my PC took 48 seconds to boot, but 5 of those seconds were from Soluto itself. If I removed or paused the apps that it listed in the "no-brainer" category, I would save less than 5 seconds, so it was actually more beneficial to my boot time to uninstall Soluto, lol. It's still worth giving it a go though, because you may find apps/processes there that are slowing your boot time down considerably, and if Soluto isn't beneficial to your boot time, you can always uninstall it.

I still can't beleive the amount of people on XP still, it's MS's fault but jeez...

Whilst everything's running ok I wouldn't want to rock the boat with changing OS from XP. I'd be more interested in upgrading from vista to 7 tbh, but I'm not too bothered.

If i'd have thought about it when i got my desktop i would've just asked for XP on it. But I like the thought of having the most streamlined setup possible for music. on my laptop, XP only has Serato on it, nothing else. I wouldn't risk anything else anyway though, given that my laptop isn't very powerful.

Serato runs fine for me on Windows 7. Audition runs better than it did on XP, apart from it disables the aero interface while it's running. I know some music software doesn't get along well with Vista/7 though, but that's mostly stuff that was created for XP. You can run ASIO4ALL on Win 7.

• 3 weeks later...