Beat Thang attempts to improve on mobile music production

8 pads instead of 16 = weak IMO. Price is of interest to me. Also I wonder if the software is free or bundled with the hardware.

http://www.gigacrate.com/Blog/?p=763

OFFICIAL SITE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWx_eAbnUJ8

Its not often that you come across an independent company such as Beat Kangs that offers something as robust looking as the Beat Thang. Essentially this is a software/hardware production platform aimed at the mobile producer. Make sure you check the video out below.

Features

* One octave pad layout with 8 banks so you can bang out beats or play the keys.

* 16 tracks so you can create patterns that can be performed and remixed on the fly.

* 16 layers of velocity sensitivity for emotive performance.

* High Quality Sampler & waveform editing. Onboard sampler & resampler.

* Edit sample start and end times. Process samples using features like normalize, reverse and resample.

* Easy to use Realtime Sequencer. Create patterns in real time using quantize, swing, individual bar lengths, tap tempo then string them together in SONG mode.

* Mixer with built in FX Change track, pad and pan levels.

* Add 24bit reverb, delay, flange, phaser, pitch shift, old record and many more.

* Add BANG with onboard mastering.

* Export your songs as .wav files or save them to your Beat Kangz Playa Thang equipped iPhone or iPod Touch.

* Rechargeable internal battery.

* Pitch and Mod wheel.

* 2 high speed SD card slots.

* 256 MB Ram Stock.

* Connects seamless with Beat Thang Software.

* Rugged all metal chassis!

I'd go with Maschine myself, or if I wanted to do everything in the box I'd bite the bullet and cough up for an mv8800. They should have gotten a professional designer in as well, it looks like a kids toy. I like the battery powered aspect though, hopefully Roland or Akai will come out with something completely cable free soon.

• 1 month later...

i think they're going for mainstream beatmakers. for the price it's not competing the the mpc5000 or the mv8800, more like the mpc2500. i think it's biggest selling point is obviously the way it interacts with software. i don't care much for their marketing campaign though.