Red Ring of Death got me too....

djdiggla

Just today. Wife put in a video and saud "why's it making all that noise." The image on the TV was all jacked up looking. The remote wouldn't work. Trun it off and back on and 3 red bars greet me.

Dunno if I'm gonna try and get it fixed or just buy a PS3. I think my warranty is out.

EDIT: It is turning on ok now but dunno if it will play a game.

i've flashed and fixed quite a few 360s now

and i would say the rrod has eventually

killed 2 thirds of them.

it's a really badly made piece of kit imho.

the repairs and fixes seem to work but

you are only delaying the inevitable....

I found a guy on caigslist that will fix it for $30 supposedly... I still haven't popped a game in it again to see if it's working again (I'm sure it will crater eventually).

Is yours out of warranty then Dirk? The warranty on the RROD is 3 years. If it is, it must be one of the original launch units. I'm surprised it's lasted this long.

I wouldn't really call the PS3 "lame", but I much prefer the 360 as a gaming box. Since I bought a PS3 I've used it for a few exclusive games and video streaming (cos the fans are quieter than the 360's).

Dunno if it's out... need to check. I bought a used PS3 today tho. HDMI, 2 controllers, 3 games, 80gig for $360...

My ID is DJDIGGLA.

^^Cool! I'll add you tonight if you don't add me first!

Some things I really like about it, some stuff I don't--generally I'm excited tho. The controller is really awkward--that's my biggest complaint. The 360 controller was too small tho.

I got COD4, Little Big Planet, Dynasty Warriors 6 and I think the other one was Resistance. I bought COD4 last night which was stupid.... shoulda just waited for Modern Warfare 2... but I got some friends that play it still.

So far I've been not too impressed.

Start with the pluses:

1) The graphic are better (but not WAY better).

2) It plays blue ray discs.

3) it has a web browser.

4) online play is free.

And the negatives:

1)Online play is horrible (unreliable network, no joining an ongoing session, no receiving an invite while match is going).

2) The game selection seems kinda poor... and the games they do have I don't want to buy again.

3) Not many people have mics and I can see why--shit is uncomfortable!

4) No hulu and/or netflix access despite having a "browser".

5) All of my friends that supposedly "play all the time" rarely do in reality, none have mics and the network is so lame it's impossible to play together.

6) I'm starting to wonder if it's any sturdier than a 360. Seems like the design isn't gonna last for too long. I've heard stories of em burning out... why do I just want a more expensive POS?

Should I keep it or keep the 360? Or keep both?

keep both if you can :)

i;ve got both and i must admit

my 360 goes on once in a blue moon

for a bit of left 4 dead.

i <3 my ps3. fair enough all my mates play

on ps3 so thats a main deciding factor.

get some good exclusives like mgs4 or

gt5 prologue.

i have heard about the ylod on the ps3

but have had no personal experience

with any ps3 problems, and like i said

i see a lot of consoles ;)

m$ patented a few of the online features

on the 360 so $ony could'nt incorporate

them into the ps3 :( there are workarounds

for these features but its up to the

developers to put them in-game as $ony

cannot use them..

6) I'm starting to wonder if it's any sturdier than a 360. Seems like the design isn't gonna last for too long. I've heard stories of em burning out... why do I just want a more expensive POS?

Do you know which hardware revision of the 360 you had? Did it have HDMI? The first two, the Xenon and the Zephyr, are the ones that died often and repeatedly which is why I made that comment about you being lucky your 360 lasted as long as it did. The later revisions, the Falcon and the Jasper are much more reliable (although that's only based on anecdotal data, not hard facts).

The same kind of thing happened with the PS3 and the earlier hardware revisions, although the issues don't seem to be anywhere near as widespread as they were with the 360. The 60GB and 40GB units both suffered from the BROD (Blu-Ray of Death - the drive won't read any discs) and the YLOD (yellow light on boot - PS3 is a brick). I've not seen many reports of 80GB units failing, although I have seen a few - not enough to consider it unreliable though. The difference is, if your 360 gets the RROD, MS have you covered for 3 years including paying for shipping and giving you 1 month of Live for free. If your PS3 gets the BROD/YLOD after 3 months (12 months in the UK), Sony will charge you $150 plus shipping plus taxes to fix it. Of the 5 people I know with PS3s, which includes me, 3 of them have broken and they were all 60GB units and all 3 got the BROD. I think they're using a different model of Blu-Ray drive in the 80GB units though, so I wouldn't worry too much about it failing.

You could do with getting a few good exclusive games for the PS3 before you make a decision. If you mainly play online with friends though, PSN is never going to compare to Live after all your time owning a 360, so it will repeatedly frustrate you.

ITs an early 360. No HDMI.

The online stuff for PS3 is defo subpar. Do want to get Katamari Forever for PS3 tho!

make yourself a jap psn account too.

i think the katamari demo is on there this week.

steves right about the 360 board revisions

and the 60gb 1st generation ps3s. on a side note

my 360 is 1st gen ooold school baby :)

you can 'fix' the rrod yourself and its pretty easy

to do but it seems to just delay the inevitable

and generally rrod's again within a few months

at the most

• 2 weeks later...

Got my 360 back today and found out my Gold membership expired two days ago! Of course I got the 1 month free, but that blows I gotta spend $50 again.... dunno if I'm gonna keep the PS3 still... I wonder if the blue ray player is gonna be like the PS2 DVD dongle--where I wore out the laser watching DVDs b/c the PS2 wasn't really designed to play DVD...

My 360 was displaying the dreaded 3 red lights too a few days ago, but it was caused by a faulty power supply. Thankfully I checked online to find out how to view the specific error codes (you hold down the sync button, then press eject 4 times) before writing the console off. I bought another PSU off eBay and it's fine now.

• 2 weeks later...

I just realized my 80GB PS3 doesn't play PS2 games. That really ticks me off. I thought the 80Gig DID play PS2!! But guess it was the 60. Stupid me. Such bullshit. Out of curiosity, do the 60 GB with the PS2 hardware in em break more often? I hope they do.

lol, you vindictive bastard. It seems they are the most prone to failure actually, so you can be thankful that you've at least got the most reliable model.

There's rumours that Sony will be adding PS2 backwards compatibility via software in a future firmware update, although I find that unlikely and it is just a rumour, but you never know.

LOL... yes, I am.

I heard that rumor too, but I prefer not just a PS2 emulator.

I was complaining to my wife last night and she says "Who gives a fuck! Shutup alrady."

...FLOL...

Whatever happened to the game consoles that lasted so long you'd just bin them cus you were sick looking at the thing.

Saying that i'll be on gaybox live in the next week or so

i cant hold back any more i want GTA IV.

Any GTA doods in here? we could organize a DV-Death-Match

Ps: I guess i'll just have to get the little keypad thing that sticks onto yer controller, cus non of you fuckers will understand a word i'm saying. ( Ask Steve)

Wow. I just realized my 80 gig doesn't have a flash card reader or 4 usb ports. Sony can seriously suck a dick. WTF? On newer models they TAKE AWAY features!!?? Who the fuck does that?