mpc 2000 xl

my mates selling his mpc and ive been interested in getting one a while, but dont really know much about em. is the 2000xl a decent one and does any one know how much they fetch on ebay? think hes after around £350 reckon thats a good deal?

nice one peeps

I'd say look on ebay. Also you need to know what features it has in relation to the basic ones, i.e RAM upgrades, SCSI HD etc. Chris, x2k and Dirk will all be better able to answer the question though.

I got a 1000 for £450...

I guess it's all fun if you've not made beats on a computer previously. There are advantages and disadvantages compared to PCs IMO, but i certainly think they're worth the investment.

I personally wouldn't get a 2000Xl though.

^^I agree and disagree. Totally. I shelved my 2kXL for my 1000 some time ago. But I would still never sell the XL.

XL

Pros:

Buttery pads

rugged

pro sound multi channel output (optional board)

Classic machine

Tilt screen

Roomier controls

Lots of custom parts (skins, cases, multi card reader, efx board)

Cons:

Slower

less memory

bulky

Pros:

comes with flash card reader

come with efx

faster

Can install a hard drive in it

more memory

smaller footprint

Cons:

Doesn't have a tilt screen

Basically the OS is crap so you have to pay $50-$100 for the JJOS

The blue ones have massively flawed pads and pad sensors

Doesn't MIDI sync via usb, just turns into an expensive flash card reader

dirk more or less sums it up perfectly... a 2000xl is a bit frustrating to use because it's so slowwwwww, but aesthetically and ergonomically it wees all over the 1000. The 1000 however is much better value in terms of what it can actually do, especially with the jjos. £350's not a bad price for a 2000xl, it should have 32mb ram though- and ideally compact flash too. An extra ton should get you a black 1000 though. A year ago I'd have said spend a bit more on a 2500 but you'll be lucky to find one that cheap now.

If the money's a concern, I would say it would be better spent going towards a 1000. If you've just got £350 burning a hole in your pocket, go for it. It's fun. That said, try for £300 if you can...