whoa... serato's gone up again?!

hold on, i was expecting, with the release of sl3, for the sl1 package to be cheaper. i've had a look and it's actually more expensive now than it was when it came out??! jjeeeeeezzz this credit crunch thing is fucked up. i can't believe i sold mine literally days before the bubble burst. i think i sold my qbert concordes and scratchlive for about £250 and at the time was only slightly disappointed. now i'm gutted.

£450 for sl1 is fucking ridiculous. £600 for sl3 is just bizarre too, traktor skratch pro is cheaper- especially if you import it, it's half the price then- and duo is cheaper still, and even duo has more features. can't help but wonder if rane are getting a little cocky on the grounds of early loyalty... i certainly wouldn't have serato now, it'd be traktor without a moment's thought.

i only have one deck set up, haha. i've got loads of records that i should really get off my arse and sell. i've been halfheartedly sorting them out and the pile of keepers is considerably smaller than i guesstimated, i'm not sitting on a goldmine but i could probably put a big dent in my credit card repayment...

I've just bought an almost new serato SL1 this week on ebay for £330 (delivery is in that price) Hopefully should have it by tomorrow. SL3 is like £799.99

SEZ NO................

crazy that a little over six months ago it was cheaper than that new... they probably went for very aggressive pricing that they thought would help them get customers and keep them for life, as at this point in time it's still very much in the air as to who's going to be the industry benchmark- and couldn't keep it up in the new climate.

i think this thing with ableton and serato is going to be pretty big, dvs manipulation of either ableton or a dedicated multitrack. but unless it's literally huge and using it with scratchlive is required/gives you more features, to be honest i think native instruments are going to be the winners in the battle for what the layman associates with dvs. which is a bit of a twist on a couple of years ago...

I paid £299.99 for Serato brand new last year. A 50% price increase is a fucking joke. The economy isn't THAT fucked up.

pioneer have done the same thing, 50% increases on cdjs and djms. funnily enough akai have dropped prices.

i wanna see the sales figures for these brands, it'd be interesting. obviously the basic market determiner is supply/demand, but there are more complex issues- for instance if the cost centre becomes more profitable, they can mitigate a loss in sales. brand value for these dudes might even be strong enough to actually make this work in their favour... it's interesting... greed is a motherfucker though,

you are getting more than with the SL1 though - it has preamps built in to the box which means the level won't be lower than normal vinyl anymore, has an auxiliary in and out, only two cables instead of 4 and comes with a power supply(finally).

also, the upgrades for serato are always free so they have to pay for this somehow