Now that Apple's removed DRM from music....

Steve

.....They've now decided to implement it into their hardware (even more than they already did). New iPod Shuffles will not work with third party headphones because the official headphones contain an authentication chip. No doubt this will be the same with other future iPod models too. They've also stopped people from using anything other than iTunes to sync music.

:rolleyes:

standard ipod headphones suck...that's a bit bizzare because they sell loads of other 3rd party earbuds and shit in the apple store, fucking strange move if you ask me.

I'm all for protecting their investment, but don't they realise that being a tad more open would make people more likely to to jump ship.

But since when has Apple managed to make anything just a tad more tricky rather than impossible? It's an issue for me as I can't wear regular buds - they fall out. So I hope and pray that future pods/phones don't tie people into Apple cans. Commercial suicide in my book.

Regardless - Apple will prevail, even they have to climb down or change tack a little to divert the wrath of the end user. Who the hell wants some voices talking song track in their ears anyway?

well is this really a 'DRM' type of issue? It seems the new ipod shuffle just doesn't have any inbuilt controls so the only way it can be controlled is by headphone controls - which I assume is why the headphones need a chip to access the internal controls.

Other headphones do work but you just get continuous music with no control.

I haven't seen confirmation that the chip is an authentication chip - ilounge just made an assumption it was and everyone else has picked up the story from there.

It's still a bit shitty if apple make manufacturers buy their chip in order to be able to contriol the shuffle though. But non standard interfaces seem to be apple's speciality - mini displayport anyone?

Bottom line is when every other tech company is losing money, apple are still making billions. They couldn't give a fuck about what consumers want, just what they'll pay for.

ps the shuffle's arse and I wouldn't buy one anyway. End of problem.