increasing your speed for console gaming

Face Melt

ok my connection at home has been fucked and i couldn't connect to any games online on my PS3, i could do go on the PSN store and stuff but couldn't actually play any online games. then my 14 year old brother did something and increased our MTU or some bullshit, i didn't really know what he was talking about and neither did he.

anyway i am connecting my PS3 to my router (belkin wireless) via an ethernet cable and UPnP is enabled. now i've read online about port forwarding and enabling/disabling DMZ and all this jazz and it just really confuses me.

i'm just wondering that because now i have i have UPnP enabled is there any need to do any manual port forwarding because from what i understand UPnP automatically opens the required ports.

does anybody have any info on this?

danke shun

I don't know shit about setting up the PS3, but I know a bit about networking so perhaps I can help.

MTU is your maximum transmission unit size; i.e. the largest 'chunk' of data that can be sent at one time. Potentiallly, nerd tweaking this could improve your ping (smaller sizes tie up your connection for less time, but reduce efficiency), but modifying it from default is not likely to fix a broken connections. Specifying a dumbfuck value might break it, though. Set your MTU to your ISP's recommended size then leave it alone.

DMZ (or demilitarised zone, rolleyes) opens all ports to a specific network address. It's not wise to use this, unless you know exactly what you're doing. I seem to recall that for a lot of routers, it can fuck up uPnP and/or port forwarding.

The bottom line is that you've got a decent, brand name router and a games console. The two should not really require any setup. I'm reading between the lines here, but it sounds like your setup used to work fine. If this is the case, then there was nothing wrong with your original settings -I would look to your ISP first for traffic shaping, bandwidth issues and such.

Who is your ISP, anyway? Hopefully not Tiscali...