epic fail.

Giraffe Dung

right i've just noticed my macbook's line in has stopped working. i used it about 2 weeks ago and i have even tried another cable to no avail. this macbook is six months old! it's definitely going back now, i have a few other niggles like the trackpad button sticking sometimes and the way the enclosure has swollen and made it slightly ill fitting and creaky but this is silly. jon if you're reading this didn't you have the same problem and they said as it was connected to the logic board you'd have to get the entire thing replaced for silly money? at least mine is in warranty. i wonder whether i'll get one of the new ones or whether they'll repair it?

i'm so fucking annoyed with this, if i could get my money back instead of getting it fixed i would genuinely consider a pc laptop instead seeing as the main reason i went mac was aesthetics and reliability- now that windows has both to the same standard and in far cheaper boxes the decision is tougher...

this doesn't mean i'm pulling out of the mix btw i'll just borrow another laptop. it's all laid out and just needs recording.

Me and most of my friends have had very sad reliability from apple products--not all, but if you take into factor the price and so called quality... I am loosly in the market for a new laptop to replace my aging G4 powerbook (BTW the superdrive failed a week after warranty ended and I had only even used it a minimal number of times)...

I was torn between a macbook and dell precision notebook... You might have made that decision for me.

You should still be able to buy applecare I think? Up to 12 months from purchase I believe. Might be worth buying seeing as your £35 for phoning them will just about cover it.

I'm just about to buy a mac. It's not a fanboy thing - I need to run apple apps for work. Gonna go for an imac though cos I've heard too many stories about macbooks. Half the ones at my work are fucked after less than 18 months. They do get battered by students though.

I have got a strange feeling that I'm about to be bummed by steve jobs if I buy an apple though.

i blagged it in the end. unless they put it on my dad's phonebill without telling me, in which case i'll be annoyed.

i am going to ring the cab tomorrow just to clarify my rights. refund or replacement for manufacturer error within statutory (and manufacturer) warranty? i don't think so but i'll check incase i'm due a cheque. the unibody does look beautiful, but i've been down this road. could have a decent laptop and £300 in my wallet instead.

The laptop is under warranty for 1 year from your purchase date, but the phone service lasts only 90 days. Doesn't make too much sense but you're still entitled to get it fixed free of charge.

I got some really decent service this time. I got a new battery and a new laptop casing (over the keys where it had cracked due to design flaw) for free. The guy said he'd give me the battrery free of charge (usually £99) because I was a student. Score!

@Chris: The problem I had was that someone tripped over a cable i had plugged into the line out port on my laptop during a crowded studio session at college last year. It's part of the motherboard so if i wanted it fixed it would cost me over £300 excluding servicing to install it. It was cheaper for me to buy a cheap dongle to convert the now mono signal from my line out to stereo for general listening and a tasty tascam audio interface than to get the crappy line out on my laptop fixed. It will be within your warranty though, so I'd just go get it fixed. There's a new apple store in the highcross in Leicester city centre, so I'd book an appointment over the net and get it checked out.