My New Computer

x2k

Chris, nothing is over clocked or tweaked here, this is as is...problem is it appears to be running right up at the temperature threshhold which is scaring the shit out of me as I just spent near enough £700 on this :(

FP, where did you get this 70C max thing (I did see it in a post elsewhere) because looking at this thread tj max is suppose to be the risky temp and apparently for Q9300 it's 95C which would certainly comply with what Intel's utils have been telling me...

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1032709621

It seems I'm getting it now...the maximum case temp is 71.4C but the cores can get hotter (around 95C I guess). Intel utils & bios are telling me how much hotter the case is allowed to get,

I've had no more reboots or weird behaviour so that's good, however it's still running a bit warm (I don't think it's critical though) so a new cooler will be in order in the not too distant future. Also the PSU is still doing that weird bootup think but I don't think it'll do any harm but I'll replace it at some point.

If it gets too hot the machine will shut itself down, there's also some features in the BIOS you will see with regards to that, such as thermal throttling and such which are all on by default. Let it run for a week or two to let it settle in and enjoy.

I've got a coding question for you which will be conveyed via PM, really hoping you can help me.

From what I've read this TJ max value is the value when the processor triggers an interrupt to tell the board to kick the fan into overdrive...if it's true that TJ max is 95C then this is just the point at which intel consider it to be time to start intense cooling and the chip's actual shutdown point is higher again. I've seen one thread where this guy was running his chip with the cores at something like 123C and it was running fine apparently lol. Obviously you don't want to be running this hot but I think the values the Intel utility is giving me (i.e. 40-50 degrees before critical are probably to be trust - you would hope so considering all parts are Intel) are probably to be trusted.

Also from what I can tell people think tjmax is 95C but no one really knows, aparently Intel are releasing the real values of tjmax for 45nm chips at some show happening right now so maybe that will make more sense.

I think I will replace the fan soon but I also think I've probably not really got anything to worry about right now so it's time to make some fucking tunes.

If it gets too hot the machine will shut itself down, there's also some features in the BIOS you will see with regards to that, such as thermal throttling and such which are all on by default. Let it run for a week or two to let it settle in and enjoy.