Recording vinyl into serato problems

Jon

I've noticed recently that when i record a vinyl into serato the recording is very trebly and there is very little low end meaning i have to boost the bass a lot on my mixer. Is there a way to control serato's EQ for recording? I don't think it's a needle problem as I've tried with both of my needles.

Yes what you were hearing there is the RIAA eq curve. Due to the nature of vinyl grooves, they boost the treble and cut the bass when cutting the record. A phono preamp has RIAA curve compensation which boosts the bass and cuts the treble by the same amounts they were altered by during cutting - bringing you back to normal.

Just a lil' bit of science for you there.

Yes what you were hearing there is the RIAA eq curve. Due to the nature of vinyl grooves, they boost the treble and cut the bass when cutting the record. A phono preamp has RIAA curve compensation which boosts the bass and cuts the treble by the same amounts they were altered by during cutting - bringing you back to normal.

Just a lil' bit of science for you there.

Crazy, thanks for the knowledge Paul :)

It is the RIAA problem and if you read the manual it tells you quite clearly that unless you are using a TTM-57 if you want to record using serato you have to connect it after the mixer (or suitable pre-amp).

Of course they could do the RIAA correction in software but I would assume that the reason they don't is because the hardware is designed to be able to take a line level input and there for the circuitry isn't sensitive enough to get a really decent signal.