June 2008 - Hot 20 New Hiphop Singles (Review)

djdiggla

Lots of new shit... see if I can hit the highlights.... Got my Henny on ice and I'm gonna do dis

2 Gutta - "Transform" Rating: B for Booty

Man you know what this is... some crazy street shit that like all the shit you hear and no better than lil wayne--who you probably don't even like... Then I hit rewind and was like, ahhh.... you know this is kinda tight. It's pretty traditional formula but the bass is real wavey underwater feel and the chick makes it hot and the crazy drums is like an early mystical track--I can hang wid that.... So it's likely not what most people are looking for but it's kinda hot. If you r spinning a club where bitchs actually drop it then this is seriously for you...

50 Cent - "Party Aint Over" Rating: C

Yes it is. Another wanna be Pac song. Beat is OK, but dated... good smoking beat tho, I will say that. I'm just not feeling it tho.

Allstar & Macy Gray - "Back To U" Rating: A-

Well, I love Macy Gray's gritty voice... I think she often falls short, but I was hyped to see her on a track. She's really the best part of the song... It's a cool out song... kinda all romantic life is what you make it kinda shit... the little breakdown around the 3 min mark is dope. This would be a good pick if your mixing all kinds of common/guru/etc kinda ish..

Arab - "I'm So Fresh" Rating: D

Man, hasn't this sone been done before!? ...and didn't totally suck the first time?? This is like some knight rider sounding beat and it still sucks if that tells you anything... and it's not just the raps. The hook would be a DOPE DOPE DOPE jack for a Bmore beat (koff koff MAtt/Cableor whoverelse whats to make some dopeness). Other than that just not feeling it.

Beyond Belief - "Don't Touch" Rating: A+

Man..... I clicked it was like eh whatever... gonna change to the next track and then I got distracted and it played for a min... DOPE. It's like some outkast kinda lyrical feel, but the beat is CRAZY... Nice, nice, nice Eagles "Heartache Tonight" sample... but it goes:

"Somebody's gonna..." "DRINK"

"Somebody's gonna..." "FIGHT"

"Somebody's gonna..." "MESS IT UP FOR US TONIGHT!"

It almost has like two hooks every time-- it does the first then goes straight into the Eagles hook... Then just past 2 mins in it totally flips and is like a total breakdown and then comes back perfectly. Really quality. This will get almost any crowd bangin I'd expect. This would also b a cool hook to remix as a club track.

Both Nice - "Arcade Fly" Rating: A+

Man this is a banger... it's a rip of the beat from a Nas song... but it's way doper. Badass lo-fi bass line. Hella nice vocals--just fits real well... just a bad ass beat. Only thing that really, really sux is the track is only 1:38 mins long! WTF!? Leaves you REALLY wanting more.

Bump J, Peedie Crack & Gillie - "Pretty Girls In The VIP" Rating: A

MAn this is a really cool, hight energy Run DMC flipped beat. It is really hot. The hook and all is ok. They got a good style that fits with the beat but the beat is what really makes it happen. This is dope tho.. would be a nice club joint.

Clap Cognac & Crooked I - "Checkin U" Rating: B+++

This is a really dope horn beat. It just is a nice slower beat. Really tight horns--You will get me everytime with sick horns. The rhymes are a little all rah rah blast a cap and shit, but it's a dope dope beat and a pretty damn tight song.

Consequence & John Legend - "Feel This Way" Rating: B++

This is a pretty cool song. It's nice and is one of those songs where you might just be able to wink at a honey and end up making out in the nasty corner of some grungy underground hiphop club. It's a cool track tho. I wouldn't buy it cause it's... you know... well... anyways.. It's not bad for sure. I'd play it. I just wouldn't buy it.

DJ King Assassin & Rappin 4-Ta - "Freak It All Night" Rating: A+++

OH SHIT. This might be the best song of the batch. KILLER. Has a sample De La used but slowed down a lil and way way funkier... then the hook drops and ur like FUCK. It's basically the SOS Band "Take Your Time (Do It Right)" sample, but sung by a chick and a couple of words changed but sounds almost just like it... Oh man it's killer as fuck. KILLER. I already listened to it like 3 times.

Double F - "The Girl's A..." Rating: A

This is tight... It's like a Kayne electro 80s feel with a little bit of classic MJ. This is a great fuck bitchez song... either cause u just broke up or b/c fuck them hoes... Gota Bobby Brown sample. Can't front on that! ...and it says "Got Dirk Digglie" in a rhyme! :d

E-40 & Lil Jon - "Turf Drop" Rating: no comment

This is just like what the fuck are we doing with rap music now a days? It's just that snap shit that always blows up the charts but I'd rather be listening to ragga if we're gonna be on some kiddo casio keyboard shit. That said, this song will not surprise me if it becomes huge. In my opinion it only has two places: in a hella gangsta club or at the ta-ta bar.

eMC (Masta Ace, Wordsworth, St) - "Once More" Rating: A

Great Pete Rock sounding beat. This is the kinda shit I really get down to. I mean it's just golden and classic thru and thru. It's real nice. All the underground heads will feel this I think.

Lil Flip & Mr E Capone - "Still In My Drop Top" Rating: B

This has a pretty cool arcade game sound.. Keeps it moving, nice good pace BPM.. Not to bad. Nothing really much to say about it in particular.

O-Tip - "Fever" Rating A-

Nice little thing from Q-Tip. Reminds me of the intro track from Busta's First album... Kinda that church crazy end of the world kinda shit... it's not that dark but it's building to it. Anyways, Q is cool... just always expect so much out of him, ya know?

Rakim - "Hip-Hop" Rating: A

Tight Rakim song.. think we all will feel this one....

Snoop Dogg - "Cool" Rating: Strange

I just really don't know what to say about this. I'm speechless. It's like Prince took over Snoop's body.

Spice 1, C-Bo, & Big Prod - "Thug Renunion" Rating: A+

OooWee! This is nice as fuck! That gritty ass funky short sample bass line that just gets u bangin that head. Spice sounds fucking dope on this track--killer ish. It's like the type of shit I would expect out of Redman if he wasn't too busy playing PlayStation 1 and watching How High trying to figure out where the fuck his acting career went.

The Roots - "75 Bars" Rating: D

It pains me how bad this sucks. It's just is all disjointed. The Tuba is tight but it totally doesn't fit with the drums or the vocals... The raps just totally sux. It's like one of the crappy songs from Judgment Night. I am in totally shock at the number of times they say ni88a... It's like Black Thought was trying to see how many times he could say it... I think he gets into the 30s (seriously). Really a sad day for the Fifth Dynasty.

Z-Ro & Trae - "Who's Tha Man" Rating: A-

Man this is just cruzin down the highway with the window down and the air is just nice and crisp and you just got laid by some freaky bitch you never have to see again and you found a blunt in the ash tray and it only had been smoked for a min so you got like the whole thing to yourself and it was wrapped in some grape papers and you r gonna go get some waffles and then crash out and do it all over again that night.

There are a number of pretty hot tracts I didn't hit on, but that's the lion's share. Lots of big names I had to skip over (mostly cause they sucked), but LOTS of good shit I am glad I heard.

U liked it? I thought the drums were tight, just didn't sound right fo that track. I thought it was horrible as a song... Just an opinion tho. They r one of my fav groups too!

Yeah, but do u like the song or just the drums? The way I see it is of course the drums r dope--look who it is! But the song still is shockingly bad... Which is sad. Or do yall actually like the song and not just the drums?

The Roots - "75 Bars" Rating: D

It pains me how bad this sucks. It's just is all disjointed. The Tuba is tight but it totally doesn't fit with the drums or the vocals... The raps just totally sux. It's like one of the crappy songs from Judgment Night. I am in totally shock at the number of times they say ni88a... It's like Black Thought was trying to see how many times he could say it... I think he gets into the 30s (seriously). Really a sad day for the Fifth Dynasty.

are you talking about the one when, he drops the line..

I'm in tha field with a shield and a speer N*gga/

he kills that shit from beginning to end

No way man... I must have a different version of this song or the whole wold has gone mad or something. The one I have sounds like a freestyle but for like 16 bars n-- is every other word. I thought it was a joke at first... Ima have to up the version I heard cause it can't possibly be the same.. Its from the record pool so it must have been redone or something.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/15505817ddfe9ad4/

Ok, this is the version I have.. starts off ok but the lyrics are HORRIBLE

EDIT: Ok, I'm sure its the same song... point is I don't like it. Glad yall do tho. It has started to grow on me, but I still don't like it much.