What's up with Macs blowin up?

iexist

So I know this has been going on for awhile, and I am guilty of conforming as well.

But I am noticing that work places, high schools, colleges are all issuing macs. As if they are ditching the windows and making sure that students/users can easily "create" music, slideshows, movies, etc.

I think it's great that creating video, music is becoming so easy for young people. I can recall when I was in highschool, the neatest program I used for making music--actually mixing mp3s--was atomixmp3.

You had to have $$$ if you wanted to the real deal and you actually had to know what you were doing.

But nowadays, its almost as if creating and editing music video.. and even webpages... is as easy as bussing tables in a restaurant. The jobs I am busting my ass trying to get are going to be so easily accessible because its no longer requiring skill.

Not to say that those in the business dont have it, but for jobs in the broadcasting field where basic editing is required isn't going to be a challenge to achieve.

I guess my rant sort of ventured from Macs blowing up into easily creating and editing audio and video.

I wanted to get everyone's insight on this.

I decided to rant because I am transitioning between jobs and realizing that I am probably competing with highschoolers for my next job.

This is exactly why I don't do full websites too often. Schools are teaching web design - universities are kicking out kids into the job market who can knock up a full Flash site while barely tearing themselves away from their DS and Big Brother.

I don;t think it's a Mac thing really. Perhaps Apple have made their name in making media creation something that everyone can do. But you can do all the same things in standard Windows software as well. It used to be that the time served seasoned pros would get to play on all the high end gear that was used for print, film and multimedia (as it was called then). But these days, you can shoot, edit, score and publish something pretty hot for next to nothing. Even my teenage daughter is posting stuff I'd be proud of on Youtube.

You want to get paid? Become a plumber or plasterer. They get PAID and get to pick and choose their jobs.

binmen are on rubbish money i just found out, i think since refuse and recycling went private it's less good than it used to be.

i wouldn't say you get to choose your jobs as a tradesman though, you sort of do everything you can in order to make the money, surely.

as far as the top jobs not taking skill anymore, i know what you mean, i think, it's not that it doesn't take skill to work with professional equipment, in like an engineering sense or whatever, and i don't think the true talent aspect is in any real danger- the problem is that morons giving the jobs out don't understand what they should be looking for. there's a transitional period at the moment with everyone deciding they're a designer, editor, producer, director, whatever, and it'll take a while before peoples' standards change again i suppose...

the problem is that morons giving the jobs out don't understand what they should be looking for. there's a transitional period at the moment with everyone deciding they're a designer, editor, producer, director, whatever, and it'll take a while before peoples' standards change again i suppose...

i couldnt agree with you more.

everyone is a designer.. artist... musician...

its almost as if art has become obsolete... with respect to drawing, painting, etc.

the problem is that morons giving the jobs out don't understand what they should be looking for. there's a transitional period at the moment with everyone deciding they're a designer, editor, producer, director, whatever, and it'll take a while before peoples' standards change again i suppose...

i couldnt agree with you more.

everyone is a designer.. artist... musician...

its almost as if art has become obsolete... with respect to drawing, painting, etc.

The problem with technology is that while it makes techniques easier, it doesn't give you creativity. For example, when papers advertise for Mac operators, they expect that you can design, if only because you can type some text into Photoshop and add a drop shadow. In the real world however, designers design on paper and Mac operators use their technical skills to make that design a reality.

Giving someone the finest chisel in the world doesn't make them a carpenter.

Don't wanna be a tradesman with the housing market taking a kicking! Or at least a building contractor.

You'd be surprised. We're looking at extending and the various architects we've spoken to see smaller building firms getting very busy indeed in the next 6 months. Nobody can afford to move, but extending is still a sound financial investment. Bigger developers however are struggling - many swanky mills converted to lofts are sat empty in the north right now.

Giving someone the finest chisel in the world doesn't make them a carpenter.

Word, couldn't have said it better. anyone with a bit of time can make something that sounds good using garageband but it doesn't necessarily make them an outstanding or credible producer or composer. Tools are just more accessible now.

Plus technology doesn't necessarily remove limits on creativity. George Martin did some seriously ground breaking stuff on minimal equipment and essentially invented big beat on a beatles' record, years before the time of big beat.

so could we somewhat agree that Apple is inadvertentally killing the challenge of what it takes to create webpages, music compositions and video elements?

kudos to them for making it easily accessible, but with that in mind, is art losing its innovation?

its all a phase..

10 years from now everyone will be back using Windows

its like the so called 'Playstation Generation'....

i think the appeal of having no viruses for Mac make it more appealing

whilst having more choice of programs and software for it

but yeah as said above - there are programs for Windows that do the same, if not better than Mac

having used Windows for years and years before i got my Mac

i can honestly say that i prefer Mac

the way the system works and functionality is amazing..

10 years from now everyone will be back using Windows

Who is everyone? The 3.3% of the computing market that's using OS X?

It depends where you look really.

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=8 - 7.83%. I saw another that quotes it nearer 2%.

If you look at machine sales, Apple's US market share is 21% in the US as of April, and laptop sales are predicted to see Apple with 50% market share in 2009.

The iPhone has one third of the phone market in one year. And that'll skyrocket with the iPhone 3G as well.

The iPod dominates the music player market.

iTunes dominates the digital download market.

Of course, it's all statistics that can be massaged to suit a particular discussion. One thing is clear - Apple is growing. Music is theirs, and the phone will follow. And if the indicators are anything to go by, we're seeing a steady shift towards greater numbers of Macs in the workplace and the home as well. Apple have made massive steps in bringing consumer macs into the realms of affordability (allegedly just a 10-15% difference than PC equivalents), even if their pro machines retain a pro level price tag.

And that OS market share figure looks to rise steadily as Vista continues to be the bastard stepchild that nobody wants.

Plus technology doesn't necessarily remove limits on creativity. George Martin did some seriously ground breaking stuff on minimal equipment and essentially invented big beat on a beatles' record, years before the time of big beat.

which beatles record was classed as big beat?

i know some circles class helter skelter as the first metal song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ebPpeiF8cg

Tommorow Never Knows, that's just a personal observation but I think there's a definite connection between the two. 'Revolver', the album it's taken from, came out in 1966.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ebPpeiF8cg

Tommorow Never Knows, that's just a personal observation but I think there's a definite connection between the two. 'Revolver', the album it's taken from, came out in 1966.

well that chemical brothers/noel gallagher tune (setting sun???) is just the same as tomorrow never knows...

i was fuckin obsessed with the beatles when i was about 15...