Computer question for the tech heads....

I've been using my really old crap PC laptop to record my mixtapes for the past couple of years...It's served it's purpose as it's now literally falling apart (it also records in mono too due to the shite soundcard onboard).

I wanna get a decent PC desktop, but not sure which one to go for!

All I need really is just the tower unit with decent RAM, a fast(ish) processor, and a good soundcard - something that'd store my music as backup, and also run ableton/cool edt with no problems.

I've been told to check out the Dell XPS range, which seem pretty good.

Any help would be dope!

Cheers

I've been told to check out the Dell XPS range, which seem pretty good.

I looked at the XPS range when I was looking to upgrade my PC. I went for a Vostro from the Dell business site instead. You're paying extra with the XPS models for the fancy case.

For £317 including VAT and delivery you can get a Vostro with this spec: -

2.4GHz Core 2 Duo processor (E4600)

3GB DDR2 RAM

500GB hard drive

128MB ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro graphics card

16X DVD writer

Vista Business SP1 (or pay £10 extra to have it delivered with XP installed, but with Vista on disc in case you want to upgrade)

Keyboard and mouse

If you sign up for Quidco (which is free) and use their referral link, you will get 5% cashback on any system bought from Dell's small business site, taking the price down to about £300 which is less than it would cost to buy the parts and build yourself. The computer comes with an onboard 7.1 sound card, so you would be much better off buying a separate one if the PC is going to be used primarily for music.

Unless you need a machine urgently though, I would wait. Dell are always doing deals and offers, so perhaps wait and see what their next one is. I got a cracking deal on mine.

Cheers Steve, that looks like a pretty good deal to me!

I'm most likely gonna make a purchase this week, my laptop's on its last innings and can't really hang about....

Regarding soundcards, I've been looking for something dope that's got RCA inputs for recording mixes into audition, that's going to give me a really good quality recording. The card on my laptop would only record what had been assigned to the left channel of a song (e.g. the rhythm guitar from an Arctic Monkeys song, but not the lead guitar or the bass which was on the right channel when played)

So far I've found an external one - Terratec Aureon 7.1 FireWire.

I really should bone up on my PC knowledge, shouldn't I? lol

Cheers Steve, that looks like a pretty good deal to me!

I'm most likely gonna make a purchase this week, my laptop's on its last innings and can't really hang about....

Regarding soundcards, I've been looking for something dope that's got RCA inputs for recording mixes into audition, that's going to give me a really good quality recording. The card on my laptop would only record what had been assigned to the left channel of a song (e.g. the rhythm guitar from an Arctic Monkeys song, but not the lead guitar or the bass which was on the right channel when played)

So far I've found an external one - Terratec Aureon 7.1 FireWire.

I really should bone up on my PC knowledge, shouldn't I? lol

What do you want the soundcard to do beyond recording mixes (stereo in?) Do you need it to do 5.1/7.1 etc? Number of inputs? mic preamps? midi in/out?

Let me know and I'll make some suggestions.

Edited by Paul_Caruso

10% discount code for the Dell Business site: -

BG1D23XVTRVZ14

If you go for that computer I mentioned, sign up for a free account here: -

http://www.quidco.com/

Log into your account, then look on the A-Z list of retailers for Dell SMB. Click on it, then click on "Click here to visit this merchant and earn cashback!". That takes you to the Dell site. Choose the computer and add it to your basket, then apply the 10% discount code and pay for it. That way you will not only get 10% off, but you will also earn 5% cashback via Quidco as well.

Oh yeah - When it asks for the name of your business when you're filling out the order form, put in your own name and the order will go through. You don't need to be a "real" business.