Windows XP Service Pack 3 to be released on April 29th

Steve

Just a heads up - the third and final service pack for Windows XP will be released via the Windows Updates site on April 29th. It includes all previously released updates and fixes, plus it adds a few new features (nothing major though).

I installed the final build of SP3 for XP on my old computer today: -

http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/6684/clipboard01ae3.jpg

The install took a while, but it went without a hitch. A couple of points/issues you might want to consider: -

1. You will be prompted to turn Automatic Updates back on if you disabled it. The Security Center service will also set itself to automatic and start up. Minor issues, but worth mentioning. As far as I can tell, if you disabled any other services prior to installing SP3, they will remain disabled after the install.

2. If you use a patched uxtheme.dll file in order to use your own custom theme, it will be replaced by a new version so your theme will no longer work. You will need to locate a patched version and use Replacer to replace the original version. I couldn't find a patched version for the final build, but I used a version from RC2 and it seems to work OK.

3. If you've modified explorer.exe in any way (as I have), that too will be replaced by a new version, so if you've made any customisations to the Start menu or Start button, you will lose them.

Other than those minor issues, it installed without any problems.

It's a theme called BlackXP that I modified slightly. I can't stand any of the standard 3 themes XP lets you choose.

I also hacked explorer.exe to have a blank Start button and to have the Start menu in a cut down form like this: -

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/8422/clipboard02um4.jpg

It shouldn't do mate. The one I posted only changes the colour scheme, so it's no more resource intensive than any of the ones built into XP. If for some strange reason performance is affected, you can easily switch back to whatever you were using before by right clicking the desktop and choosing Properties.

• 2 weeks later...

don't know what i've done here but it'd seem i've absolutely fucked xp...

i ran a UX theme multi patcher and it said to wait about a minute and cancel the thing that came up

have i been a proper dick and downloaded some virus? whatever i open now says its nonresponsive or something, can't even get into control panel cos it does the same thing

Try using System Restore to go back to a point before you used it. This is what I used to do it........

Download Replacer: -

http://www3.telus.net/_/replacer/Replacer.zip

Download the uxtheme.dll file. This version is only for people that have installed Service Pack 3: -

http://www.mediafire.com/?zocpl3yslmb

Use Replacer to replace the file. Reboot. Job done.

You can still got on to DV though so I wouldn't really worry about it

i got on here on my vista partition

when i tried to go into control panel if just said not responding or some shit.

i might have to try a repair installation or summin summin...

rescued.

i think i patched the uxtheme thing before i extracted the theme. i tried again after but it wasn't having any of it.

the other thing i noticed is that its a windows visual style file rather than a windows theme file

but then i installed zune so i'm all good

hugs and kisses

x