Just bought a new PC!

Steve

Dell Vostro 400. (Yes, I know. Dell sucks etc.)

Specs: -

Q6600 2.4GHz Quad Core processor

3GB DDR2 RAM

NVIDIA 8800GT graphics card

750GB hard drive

16X DVD writer

16X DVD reader

19 in 1 card reader

Logitech EX110 cordless keyboard/mouse

Windows Vista Premium (will probably swap for XP Pro)

22 inch widescreen LCD monitor

£618 including VAT and delivery. I got 5% cashback via Quidco too. Not bad I reckon.

This will be the first decent PC I've ever owned, haha. I'm currently running an AMD 1600+ with 1GB RAM.

lol. My first computer had a 133MHz processor and 32MB of RAM. When that became too slow (which didn't take long) I bought a P3-800 with 640MB of RAM second hand off a mate for £150. That's the computer I'm using now, although the motherboard and CPU died and had to be replaced with one kindly donated by Dub-Se7en (AMD Athlon 1600+). I've probably got the lowest spec computer of anyone on here, until my new one arrives anyway.

I've been mulling over PC choices recently. I was tempted by getting a 17" desktop replacement laptop (like the Sony Vaio VGN-AR series), because I am fed up with having desktop towers and shit taking up space. I like being able to close a laptop screen / put it in standby and the smaller footprint. I don't really need portability of a laptop though - I never move or take my laptop anywhere.

But then desktop you get quad core plus much better storage etc.

Although I still don't think I would get a Mac for general internet duties, I like the idea of an iMac style all in one with big monitor.

Plus I still have separate PCs - a laptop with my decks and a main desktop in another room (which I hardly ever turn on because now I just gives BSODs whenever I doing some strenuous on it - too old for me to bother fixing it - though I did try!).

I can relate to that mate. I've been looking at various PC deals for a couple of months now thinking "shall I, shan't I".

I like the look of the Dell XPS One, which is kind of iMac-like: -

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products...;l=en&s=dhs

It's a bit out of my price range though, plus the machine I've bought would spank it in terms of performance.

sweet mate.

dell ain't bad really, the problem i had with them is when they stopped making their cases, psu's and mobos atx compliant meaning if any of those parts went faulty, you could only replace them like for like, which can be tricky.

This computer is fucking wicked. Sooooo much better than the old one. I was expecting it to be noisy, but it's really quiet - you can hardly hear it.

I can definitely recommend Dell. I had read that their support sucks, but in my case they've been really good. One of the DVD drives wouldn't close properly - it was catching on the fold down flap on the front of the case - so I called them up and they had a new case front sent to me within 24 hours, then they called me the day after that to ask if it fixed the problem (which it had). Can't complain at that. You also get a DVD which contains every driver you need for XP or Vista, which is very handy, plus the manual explains in detail how to remove and replace pretty much every component if you want to upgrade or replace a part.

Yeah when the drive on my laptop broke I had a replacement within 24 hours which was pretty fly. It did take me an hour on the phone to tech support though, only because they were -very- thorough and I was just basically saying all the way through "I know about computers, trust me - it's fucked!"