ECLER HAK-380

ECLER HAK-380

BY PEOPLE

Reason for Buying

Basically, I’m a tart when it comes to mixers. Never changed turntables, but in the 5 years previous to this purchase, I’d been through a Numark DM1001X, Stanton SK6F, Vestax PMC 05 Pro II, Technics SH-DJ 1200, Technics SH-DX 1200, Rane TTM-54i and a Rane TTM-56. I guess I just enjoy new mixers or something…

I was currently using the Rane TTM-56, which has arguably one of the nicest crossfaders on the market, smooth like butter, but as a scratch DJ I like cutting on the up faders, and the sharpest curve is at the base on the 56, whilst I like the sharpest curve to be at the top. So I started looking around at mixers reviews, and felt the best for me in the situation was the Ecler. Additionally, I’d started DJing out fairly regularly, and the fact that it has RCA, Jack and Phono output connections was a big thing for me, as I didn’t like the extra hassle of carting around cables and adaptors so that I could plug my mixer into any venue’s system. Beside this, the headphones have both ¼” and mini jack sockets, another user-friendly aspect of the design.

First Impressions & Getting Started

Looks good. To me, it’s a nicely designed mixer, with plenty of room to hammer the up faders (of which a spare is supplied), but more than that, it’s a well thought out mixer for the most part…

Control

The nice thing about this mixer is the amount of control you get. The crossfader has your standard curve adjust, independent for each side, and in addition to this you can fine-tune the attack to make it near instant, as sharp as any other fader will ever be. And the curve adjust for the up faders has pretty nice curves, with extremes of sharpness offered at either the top or the bottom of the faders, with also reverse switches for those who prefer. Also, there are switches on the rear of the mixer for 6dB boost on the output, and optional mono signal output.

This mixer also boasts Ecler’s new feature, scratch cue, which enables you to play one channel, then scratch over it in the headphones, but without the scratching going out of the master out. This is something which I have only occasionally used, but has been handy when I have used it.

Build

In terms of build quality, I wouldn’t say it feels as sturdy as a Vestax or Rane, though that’s not to say it feels bad. But from speaking to other people, I’m under the impression Ecler have raised their game significantly since earlier models like the HAK-310.

Issues

After having this mixer only a few months, something went in it at the same time as a power surge in my house. I couldn’t knowingly accredit this to the mixer, or to my house wiring, which I imagine is a pretty shit cowboy job, as it has been in previous houses of mine. Wiring’s the first thing I’m getting sorted when I have a house of my own, let me tell you! But, Ecler customer service was fine. Bearing in mind I bought this from Canada on ebay, which often invalidates warranties, they happily helped me out and fixed it, the only thing I had to do was pay for postage, which is down to the fact i didn’t get it from a uk shop which I could return it to.

The main badly thought out part of this mixer is the FX return, as this isn’t independently controlled for each channel, though as I don’t use FX this hasn’t been an issue for me.

The only real issue I have is that I feel the fader is possibly too light for a heavy handed scratch DJ like me, and when juggling, there is the possibility of bouncing the fader off the housing and accidentally bringing the other channel in, though you adapt your technique over time to compensate for this. And this is absolutely down to personal preference; it may well be the perfect fader for some people.

Summary

The thing I found with this mixer, is that it delivered on everything that I’ve bought it for, but what surprised me is how much I like using this mixer when gigging. There’s just something about it, everything is placed really well to be accessible quickly, and it seems to be really good for headphone cueing (when you’re playing somewhere without a monitor) and as I said, there’s never any problems with forgetting headphone jack adaptors, or not having the right leads to connect to a venue’s system. It’s by far my favourite gigging mixer to date, and it’s a helluva scratch mixer too.

Plus points are:

Awesome cross fader with 5 year guarantee

Good curve range on line faders

3 band EQ

Easily accessible fader controls

Jack, mini jack and RCA outputs

Channel reverse

Scratch cue

Good customer service

Bad points:

FX not channel independent

Not sure how I’d feel having paid £550+ for it, as you’re approaching the higher end of the market, I paid somewhere between £400-£450 for mine.

Better than the TTM-56? I’d say so.

Better than the PMC-07? I’d say so.

And then you’re looking at mainly the PMC 08-Pro, the scratchbox, and the Pioneer DJM909, which are all in the higher end price range. And the only one I’ve used is the 909, and I’m not that into effects, and really quite dislike the crossfader on, so I’d still take the Ecler for sure.

The only thing left to say really, is if you’re working with 2 turntables and a mixer, this may be the mixer for you. If you use other equipment and need to make use of an FX channel, look elsewhere.

Nice one waxxy, I wasn't expecting that ;) You've certainly impressed me with you oppions on this mixer and it look DEEAD SEEXY in the flesh. I've recently got a TTM56 and judging by your review that may have been the wrong thing except I specifically wanted it for the effects loop so I'm would change it for anything (without spending considerable more money that is). I really do like the idea of the scratch cue though, that would be right up my street.

yeah the scratch cue's defo a nice little feature, but the FX is wack, but i knew that anyway, so i'm happy as larry!

oh, DV's the only site apart from wikipedia thats not blocked at work, hence me getting my ass in gear;)

i'll post the james pants interview tonight. brapp!

yeah the scratch cue's defo a nice little feature, but the FX is wack, but i knew that anyway, so i'm happy as larry!

oh, DV's the only site apart from wikipedia thats not blocked at work, hence me getting my ass in gear;)

lol thats a bit of a score isnt it

dont think DV would function if it wasnt for people skiving at work

Bad points:

EQ not channel independent

thats crazy

I'm presuming that's a typo and Waxon meant 'FX not channel independent' because only being able to EQ both channels is the silliest idea for a mixer i've heard!

Good review Wax!

yeah i have this mixer as well and that review is spot on

"The only real issue I have is that I feel the fader is possibly too light for a heavy handed scratch DJ like me, and when juggling, there is the possibility of bouncing the fader off the housing and accidentally bringing the other channel in, though you adapt your technique over time to compensate for this. And this is absolutely down to personal preference; it may well be the perfect fader for some people."

completely true. for me i find i don't have much control on the fader as it is so light but others love it. my only real gripe with the mixer it is the range of the eqs. can't remember it the db offhand but it isn't near a complete cut . you really notice the difference comparing it to a pioneer or even a rane.

if anyone wants to buy it i will sell it cheap. pm me

haha.. ok, that makes more sense.