interface voltage problem

I recently bought a new recording firewire interface and when it arrived it had no mains adaptor so i went and bought one this morning.

I bought one with changeable voltage and changed it to 12V which is what the interface requires as indicated on the power supply input on the unit itself. within 20 minutes the adaptor had stopped working (it normally has a light that indicates that power is flowing through it), so i'm presuming the fuse on the adaptor blew. can anyone identify what i could have done wrong?

Unless it was a faulty power suppy then I reckon the power supply wasn't supposed to supply the amount of current required by the interface. Look in the docs for the interface and find how much current it wants (probably rated in milliamps - mA) then make sure the power supply is rated to supply that amount of power. Hope that helps.

thanks for the reply. unfortunately the interface came with no manuals, and the ones i've found online seem to give no info on the power supply. i've emailed the ebay seller who i bought it off to ask what supply he was using to power it before.

thanks for the reply. unfortunately the interface came with no manuals, and the ones i've found online seem to give no info on the power supply. i've emailed the ebay seller who i bought it off to ask what supply he was using to power it before.

Looked for the manual online, they're normally on the manufacturers website ;)

Looked for the manual online, they're normally on the manufacturers website ;)

http://www.tascam.com/products/fw-1082;9,14,44,19.html

yup and i can't seem to find the info. :@

Got an email back from the seller and he said he'd send me the power supply and manuals for free. Result! problem solved, cheers for the advice x2k, props for the work you're doing on the forum too, it's starting to get busy again :)

On the page you linked to: Resources tab -> 5. FW-1082 Owner's Manual: (download) -> page 33 of the PDF under specification.

Power requirements

External power adapter AC input 100V AC, 50/60Hz

120V AC, 60Hz

230V AC, 50Hz

240V AC, 50Hz

Adapter output voltage 12V, 2.5A

Power consumption 22W

Peak inrush current 2.6 A

It requires a 2.5A power supply, that's quite heafty compared to your average off the shelf multi-purpose power adapter, that will be why it died.

On the page you linked to: Resources tab -> 5. FW-1082 Owner's Manual: (download) -> page 33 of the PDF under specification.

Power requirements

External power adapter AC input 100V AC, 50/60Hz

120V AC, 60Hz

230V AC, 50Hz

240V AC, 50Hz

Adapter output voltage 12V, 2.5A

Power consumption 22W

Peak inrush current 2.6 A

Thanks! I hadn't noticed the drop down arrows on adobe next to the headers. noob mistake!

It requires a 2.5A power supply, that's quite heafty compared to your average off the shelf multi-purpose power adapter, that will be why it died.

the one i was using was 300 mA :S