ALESIS MIRCON

post-28-1207308952.jpg

The Alesis Mirco is a virtual analogue synthasizer, this means it isn't actually an analogue synth but rather a digital synth simulating an analogue one. The Micro is pretty much the same synth as the Alesis Ion but with all the knobs and buttons removed and replaced with 1 big knob and a little screen.

The Build

The Micro isn't really much to look at, just a couple of big rubbery knobs and a 3 octave keyboard. Unlike the MicroKorg the keys on the micro are full size which is nice. The controls look a bit fisher pricey but I don't know if that's a bad thing because they feel build to last.

Controls

This main problem with the micron is that it is a nigthmare to program, programming it via 1 knob and a little screen make it feel more like a rack mount version of the Ion but with keys. This is fine if you already know what sound you want to create but it's a nightmare if you just want to twiddle and experiment.

There are a couple of 3rd software editors for the micron and while they can make life a bit easier they are quite buggy and don't commicate with it perfectly. This is probably because it uses it's own set of NRPN messages to change parameters rather than standard CC messages.

Sound

The micon sounds great and for the price you can really go wrong, is does seem a bit noisy though. It's only got 8 note polyphony which seems a bit low especially since it is multitimbral.

Pattern Sequencer

This is unique to the Micron, the Ion doesn't have it. In my oppion it's pointless and I've not really played with it, others my dissagree with me on that.

Vocoder

Not played with it much, seems ok but it's a bit fiddly to get it going.

Problems

Only issue I've got with it is static/crackling on the volume knob.

Pros

* Good sound

* Cheap

* Lots of powerful features

* The ability to layer patch of the top of each other

Cons

* Pain in the arse to program

* Noise

Over all I give it about 6 out of 10, great for the price but you need to be prepare to spend a long time with it to create decent new sounds.

Fair enough, also since last night I realised that what I said about the pattern sequencer stuff being rubbish I might have been completely wrong. Up until then I also thought that midi stuff on turntables was pretty rediculous but last night I think I realised the possiblities of the 2 combined. Cutting in tune with the synth is what I'm thinking, I'm gonna have to get some some pdx-3000s soon :d I'll let you know how I get on when I have everythign I need ;)

• 3 months later...

I've got the Ion, the big brother to the Micron. Amazing synth, very easy to use, sounds great, and is super easy to program the sound you want. Having used both I'd go for the Ion if you can find one, they aren't that much more expensive and you'll get pretty much as close as you're going to get a VA that looks and sounds like the real thing.