video equipment

Phology

im starting to save up for a new video camera

and i remembered that i have one of these -

Sankyo 8-cm Micro Zoom

my Grandma gave it me along with a projector screen and also another camera which i forget the name of

but its another similar to this 8mm one

and i was wondering the possibilities of using a camera like this for filmmaking today

and if its worth the effort getting it working

(i think it just needs a new mercury battery)

and the method of transferring film to digital

:(

the type of camera i want is going to be in the thousands of pounds area

so i thought hey - ive got this, is it possible to use it!?

The film will look great - good colour and depth. But it is that - film. It needs developing before you can view it, let alone digitise it. It can be hard to come by and not so cheap. Also you will have no sound.

But yeah of course it's possible to use it. Plenty of film makers shoot on 8mm because of its distinctive look. It won't be as straightforward as DV though so it depends what you want to do.

Like dextrous said the film has wicked grimey characterstics and looks nothing like digital whatsoever, but capturing the film to video is a costly process and not really convenient either. Its doable though, but you gotta look into services to get that film transfered to video. There are some DIY devices out there which can produce decent results and if you have the time and money it might be worthwhile looking into.

http://homepage.mac.com/onsuper8/diytelecine/index.html is a good example

in town this man's got bare super 8s and reels at the market i always walk past when i'm digging and um and aah about getting one, what's a good price/performance split for having fun with? i've got no idea