some questions about the xbox 360

airnino

i have been thinking about getting a xbox 360 so i got a few questions:

- i have no 60hz mode on my tv (but ntsc) so i don't think it'll work with the newest games. but i can play on my pc monitor right?

- i don't have that much money so i'm thinking about getting one without hd. what do i need the hd for? or should i get the one the small 20 gb hd at least?

- the ones with high definiton mode seem to be more expensive; do i need that (considering i will play with my pc monitor)?

anything else i might want to consider? i think i remember there were some rumors about accessories that you have to buy if you really want to play...

thanks!

you don't need the elite that has hdmi, just get a regular one and you can get a vga cable for it. also i highly highly suggest getting one with the hd, you'll need one at some point anyways and it cost way more to buy it seperate.

you should get the pro/premium/whatever it's called now (comes with 20gig hd, component cable and 1 controller) it's the middle of the road model and has everything you need.

i have no 60hz mode on my tv (but ntsc) so i don't think it'll work with the newest games. but i can play on my pc monitor right?

Yes, although you'll need to buy the correct cable. There's only a few games that won't run at 50Hz though.

i don't have that much money so i'm thinking about getting one without hd. what do i need the hd for? or should i get the one the small 20 gb hd at least?

You need a HDD for downloading demos, games and movies from Xbox Live, plus you can rip CDs to it. It's also used to store save points. It's required if you want to play games from the first Xbox on your 360. Some games are optimised for the hard drive, so they will run better if you have one. There are currently two games (Football Manager 2006 and Final Fantasy XIII) that won't work at all unless you have a hard drive, and their may be more in the future.

The version of the 360 without the hard drive doesn't come with a headset, and it also comes with composite cables which aren't capable of carrying a hi-def signal.

the ones with high definiton mode seem to be more expensive; do i need that (considering i will play with my pc monitor)?

Every 360 can do high definition. I think you mean HDMI. All 360s manufactured in the last couple of months have a HDMI socket, even the ones that don't come with a hard drive, but only the Elite comes with a HDMI cable.

anything else i might want to consider?

MS have revised the 360 design at least twice since it was released. The latest revision is called the "Falcon" and it's far more reliable than the older designs. Make sure that you get one of those. If it says 175 Watts on the sticker on the bottom of the power supply, it's definitely a Falcon.

ok thanks so far. i think i will get the one with the 20 gh hdd...

but i have another question about hooking up the xbox to my pc monitor:

first off here's a pic about how it's supposed to be connceted: http://assets.xbox.com/en-us/support/_imag...bleTvHookup.jpg

but my pc monitor (Philips 109 E 5) seems to have no extra vga input slot. also the one vga it has seems to be coming right out of the back of the monitor so i think i can't exchange it. now the loose end of the monitor vga cable (the one that goes to my pc right now) is a male (with pins), but this xbox av vga cable: <a href="http://www.winsupersite.com/images/reviews/xbox360_acc_vga.jpg" target="_blank">http://www.winsupersite.com/images/reviews...360_acc_vga.jpg</a>seems to be male too...

so is there some kind of converter that has two female vga slots to connect the 2 (supposedly male) vga cables of the xbox and my monitor?

but my pc monitor (Philips 109 E 5) seems to have no extra vga input slot.

You can get a VGA switch box if you want to have both permanently connected.

and is there a list of games that will only run in the pal60 mode?

Dead or Alive 4

Dynasty Warriors 5 Empires

The Outfit

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

NBA 2K6

NHL 2K6

Final Fantasy XI

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter

Top Spin 2

Hitman: Blood Money

Ninety-Nine Nights

That's the list from Xbox.com.