more fun.....

Phology

sigh...............

im gettin really pissed off with my computer at the moment

iv just got myself an External HD so iv cleared up a lot of space

and d/ld Avast and did a scan and all that, gettin rid of a lot of nastyness...

now...i cant seem to install any software..

everytime i try to install anything, my computer crashes..

im pretty sure its sumthing to do with this TOTOUR.EXE virus thats appeared on my comp

which i cant seem to get rid of!!!!!!!! :@

im debating wether to whack all important stuff onto the new HD and master reset the piece of shit..

:x

^^I would do that, especially now you've got another drive to use for backing up your data. If your computer has been overrun with spyware and/or viruses, it can't always be restored to a fully working state, because system files get damaged and the registry can become corrupt.

hmm... cool looks like im guna try that

has anyone else here had experience with this totour.exe virus and managed to get rid of it??

im kinda of a novice when it comes to this stuff, i know how to do most things..

but if anyone could kinda "walk me through" how to do a full system restore thatd be great

i jus wanna do it right..

The best way to do it IMO, is to remove every partition from the HDD so you're starting totally from a fresh drive, then create one partition for Windows and any programs you want to install, and one for all of your data. If anything buggers up in future, you can wipe the C drive with Windows on it, while leaving the D drive with all of your data on it untouched. It can all be done by booting from the XP CD. Delete any partitions, create a partition for Windows/programs, format it, install Windows, and then once you're actually in Windows you can format the other partition for your data. It's dead easy. The only difficult part is deciding how big the Windows/programs partition is going to be.

OK, let's say you have a 250GB hard drive. If it has just one partition on it (all drives have to have at least one), it will just show up as one big drive called C, for example. Partitioning a drive means slicing it up into chunks. Windows sees each of those chunks as a separate hard drive, even though there's only one actual physical hard drive there. So, you could have a setup like this: -

C - 20GB - Windows & Programs

D - 230GB - Data

Because C and D are looked at as separate drives by Windows, you could wipe C if you needed to, and everything on D would remain intact.

My computer is set up like this: -

http://xs121.xs.to/xs121/07453/partitions.jpg

I've got 2 actual hard drives in there. The first one is partitioned into C (for Windows and programs) and D (for data). The second hard drive, E, is used as a backup, just in case the other hard drive physically fails.

If I was you, I'd run a similar setup, so you'd partition your hard drive into C and D, and your external hard drive would be your version of my E drive, used for backups and extra storage.