covering your ass

djnumnuts

sup all ,after the recent events in the world of bit tor with sites shutting down or being shut down but the media nazis i proceeded to shit my panites,not sure why as i dont download flims and not that many mp3s.was wondering how to cover

your ass more ,i use PeerGuardian http://methlabs.org/forums/ ,which is a bloody good little tool.some said to me at work to try a router ,just wondering how it can protect you more than just the obligatory fiewall thats built in,can it mask your ip ?and are there any other tools for annoynimus interwebing.had a look at tor and freenet but they dont seem to be that great.

If you're using BitTorrent then there is nothing more you can do unfortunately. PeerGuardian blocks IP addresses of known "bad" sites to stop them connecting to your machine and that's about your best defence. I wouldn't worry too much about the old bill kicking your door in just yet. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Right

Apps like Peerguradian just deny access to known 'bad' IP's. If you have a poke around the site you'll find up-to-date lists of this stuff. KaZaA Lite had similar features, too.

If you use a router, you can normally set blocked IP's without too much hassle. The exact method varies from router to router, but even on the cheap shitty one that I've got (and can't find.... bastard Sam made off with it I think) it wasn't too difficult.

I guess it helps, but I can't hlp but feel that organisations like the RIAA, Colombia Tristar or Sony have the ability to create wandering IPs, or to simply check the blocklists each day and stop using the ones that are blocked.

I really wouldn't panic, though. I know plenty of people who get letters sent to their ISP's. ISP's are bound by law NOT to give these companies your details, under the data protection act. Luckily for us, data protection in the UK is pretty much watertight, and further to this if these american-based companies wish to prosecute, they need to have you extradited -which ain't gonna happen!

You better believe that the ISP's will fight tooth and nail to protect your data, too. After all, who buys a 2meg connection to watch streaming video or browse the web? High bandwidth connections are all about FILESHARING and precious little else.

I even remember seeing a ISP set up early last year specifically for filesharers who wish their data to be protected by the best means possible. I can't remember how it worked exactly -it was a fair bit more expensive, but your identity was very carefully tangled up. I think payment was sent to a company in Japan or somewhere, and your identity was kept completely seperate from your UK ISP account.

Long story short, there's still no reason to shit your kekssss

OHHHHH yeah... third thing (sorry). I remember reading on a UK based torrent support forum that one guy got such a letter from Blueyonder. He phoned them up and gave them all kinds of shit, asked them never to contact him regarding such a matter in the future. They were apparently very apologetic and (here's the good bit) UPGRADED HIM FROM 512K to 2MEG ADSL, FREE OF CHARGE.

Motherfucker!