two avi formats only one works :S

Guest SirChick

Guest SirChick

I downloaded DivX player and codecs to watch these two avi format videos i have. Now one played fine but the other gives an error. How ever if i play that one video which causes an error in windows media player it plays the audio of that video only.

The one video is a video i got from Google.video which works but the other is a tutorial on how to use drum kit from hell superior which a mate sent through to me on msn. They both are deffinatly .avi format.

Any one come across something like this before.. i use vista btw encase thats a possible reason...

no idea but have you tried using vlc player or real alternative as those 2 play everything (if they work on vista that is)

• 2 weeks later...

oO so a friend had this problem and we resolved it by doing this:

(Using vlc 0.8.6c - I think 9 is out now and you don't need to do this?)

Open the VLC preferences from under the Settings menu. You should now be in the main VLC preferences. Make sure the “Advanced Options” in the bottom-left corner is checked. From there, expand the “Video” item in the left menu and select “Output modules”.

Now you can select whichever video output module you desire, though “Windows GDI video output” will be your best bet. If you’re the adventurous type, you can try each output module to see if any work better for your computer. You will need to restart VLC each time you change the video output module.

If that doesn't help then I don't know what will.

More help:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...er-under-vista/