Have they pulled a fast one on me?

Guest SirChick

Guest SirChick

I just bought a Quad Core CPU with 4 gig ram and 312mb GFX Card and 1 terabyte hard drive..

yet to my surprise ... the DXDiag shows 900 gig hard drive and 3.25gig ram :S

if im not mistaken the OS is Vista which should display > 3332 gig ram or something... and i am on vista.. not sure if im on 32 bit or 64 bit how ever but i could find out if you needed to know

Have they pulled a fast one on me here or am i misinformed on what the computer shows me ? Im pissed off if they have under spec'd the pc i paid for.

Nope not ripped off mate.

1024 bits in a byte, but the hard drive makers advertise 1000 bits in a byte.

Therefore a 1TB drive is only 900Gigs. Strange but true.

THe RAM is showing you how much RAM you have minus what your puter is busy using, because your PC is on therefore using RAM.

Should be about a 100 meg or 150 RAM used in a default fresh XP install, so VIsta should be about the same.

YOu can check in the BIOS at a lower level by tapping delete while the PC first starts, which will get you into the BIOS which will tell you independantly what it picks up the drive and RAM, no OS involved.

You're cool mate.

Guest SirChick

150 meg ram though im missing over 750 meg RAM ? Would the GFX which is 320 ram be using that much up or is it just the fact that vista has such fancy graphic layout :S

Ill check the BIOS though im tredding in bad lands, dont want to screw anything up! But at least some one has the answers :p

Oh sheet, I thought you had 512MB RAM..... lol

OK WHOA

That's a fuckload of RAM

First check in the box itself, pull off the side panel and check and count the sticks and read the labels to verify.

If 4gig is there then it's the software not picking it up, if not there then go beat uip the shop who sold you the PC.

Check in VIsta and THIRD PARTY apps to see if they pick it up.

If not then reseat the RAM

etc etc

Quad core CPU? You've got half a G to drop on a chip?!? That's as much as I'd spend on a whole rig. Questionable benefits too seeing as few apps are optimised for dual core let alone four... you really need that? I reckon you've spent more on that PC than I have on my last six cars combined...

Anyway, as FP says the HD industry switched to using 1000 rather than the hex approximation of 1024 a long time ago, so no there's nothing wrong there. I would suggest taking a look at your RAM, I don't believe you've been 'ripped off' as the number you quote is very odd; 2GB or 4GB would be very usual since it's very uncommon to fit anything other than matched pairs to take advantage of dual channel memory bandwith gains. It sounds like you're quoting available memory rather than total physical memory. Vista does use a lot more RAM at all times since it has much more sophisticated background prefetching which speeds up things like application launch times considerably.

CPU-Z is the don dada: http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

Guest SirChick

I know few use dual core but that means i won't fall behind for a long time in the next how ever many years it takes till programs are going passed Quad core.. i bought this so itll stay in date for a long time lol

Print screen grab of the results:

http://h1.ripway.com/sirchick/CPU-Z.jpg

http://h1.ripway.com/sirchick/fd.jpg

Is there a way to find out what is using up 750 Meg of Ram..like a list of the programs memory usage ? I have suspicious feeling its BullGuard 7 but i could be wrong.

And i dont know what a half of G means never heard that phrase before but i going to guess yes :S

Edited by SirChick

I know few use dual core but that means i won't fall behind for a long time in the next how ever many years it takes till programs are going passed Quad core.. i bought this so itll stay in date for a long time lol

Print screen grab of the results:

http://h1.ripway.com/sirchick/CPU-Z.jpg

http://h1.ripway.com/sirchick/fd.jpg

Is there a way to find out what is using up 750 Meg of Ram..like a list of the programs memory usage ? I have suspicious feeling its BullGuard 7 but i could be wrong.

And i dont know what a half of G means never heard that phrase before but i going to guess yes :S

CTRL+ALT+DEL under Vista brings up a set of options; one is task manager. Check the processes and how much memory they are using.

Fuck it though, if you have a lot of RAM then as I say Vista will use it

Half a G as in five or six hundred quid on that chip. I see what you say about 'not going out of date', but it's a pure false economy in that respect because you could spend less than half as much on a chip now and the same again in two years and buy a much better one... meh, if you've got it flaunt it but fucking hell mate, you turn over a post office or just got loaded (and gullible) parents

Guest SirChick

The entire PC was 600 quid. RAM Is pretty cheap to buy as we all know. The only thing that cost was the the quad core and the GFX card which is 312meg. thats really where the price of it came into its own.

And no, its just family friend owns a small computer shop in my local area and built it for me. Im going to find out how much RAM Vista's minimum requirements are thanks for the help guys!

Oh, and I belive Vista requires 512MB, but bear in mind that it will use more if it is available, just like XP will 'run' on 64MB, but likes at least 256MB ideally 512MB or more. Vista is best with at least 1GB, ideally 2GB.

If you're doing ANY audio work on there, get XP and dual boot. Very few sound card manufacturers have decent ASIO support working under Vista yet, the entire audio stack has been rewritten.

Guest SirChick

Yeh my detla1010lt card doesnt work on it, but i aint planning to record proper for another year and by that time Vista will be dominating like crazy no doubt. As we all know microsoft finds a way to push you on to the new system. So i wont bother getting XP. Plus if it uses 512meg my GFX card is 312 meg i think we have the answer on the missing ram . so thats ok then.

Plus if it uses 512meg my GFX card is 312 meg i think we have the answer on the missing ram . so thats ok then.

No. GPU memory is entirely seperate from system memory. Don't equate the two, they have nothing to do with one another. The GPU ram is used simply to store graphics data, mainly textures, for ultra-fast access by the GPU *without* the system memory being used. This removes the overhead of passing this data back and forth through the graphics bus, which would slow things down like crazy as well as using up CPU cycles handling it.

IF and only IF you have an integrated graphics card (IGP) which forms part of your motherboard chipset ("onboard graphics"), then some system memory is allocated to graphics. You'd be mental to use integrated graphics on a high spec system. Do you know what graphics card you have? Look in device manager. Make sure it's not an onboard graphics system.

Guest SirChick
Anyway, CPU-Z says you have 4096MB installed. CPU-Z is gospel truth. I've got a nasty feeling you might have an IGP actually...

Wats IGP?

And:

320MB nVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS - Dual DVI, HDTV, TV-Out

thats the card

Guest SirChick

The guy is a local shop owner and family friend he didn't make a profit from my purchase he did it as a favor/gift.

Although he didn't build it for me, he got it shipped in, and i dont know how but it was cheaper to buy if your a shop purchasing for the manufacturer than if your a general customer.

what sorta price would the pc usually cost then with the specs i got?

It's hard to say exactly without knowing what specific parts, case etc. you have. Just rest assured that even if you'd bought all the bits yourself and put it together DIY, it would have cost you a good couple of hundred more minimum. You got a wicked bargain there.