Wireless Router

Guest SirChick

Guest SirChick

I just got a wireless router for my pc to allow my mates pc upstairs to use the web. But for some reason on the main pc that has the router (not the receiver) i cannot connect my web cam to any one on in the internet. I turned windows firewall off but that did jack all so i turned it back on. So it must be related to this wireless router... but i have no settings for it to change anything. Or if i do i certainly cant find it. I been looking around network connections but the terminology i have no idea what half of the things mean :p

any experts here on this :p ?

wireless is shite, proper crap technology, stick to wires. no drop outs n ting

:@@

Don't fear the tech, wireless is tight

What model router you got? Which apps are having cam trouble? You tried forwarding the associated ports? How about turning off any built-in firewall the router may have?

Guest SirChick

The problem lies with MSN.... i know it uses plug in play port sumin like Upnp ? And on msn it says im no longer using a Upnp router.

The router is Actiontec doesnt have a model number but ill get the link off the site.

This pc is NOT wireless... this is where the router is situated which is wired to the pc via usb and ethernet.. the other pcs in the house are wireless but i couldnt care about those pc's only this one is my concern.

You tried forwarding the associated ports? = I dont know anything about ports so i aint got a clue what that means!

And i think there is a built in firewall but i have no way of accessing the settings cos i cant find the settings for it... if there is a firewall at all.

This is the one i got:

http://www.actiontec.com/products/home_net...er/features.php

uPNP opens the associated ports for you. Either you need to turn uPNP on at the router or your computer (depending which is disabled), or set up port forwarding. Plenty of info on the web, try your manufacturers website for specific info.

Guest SirChick

Yeh i google'd around before asking here and i got jack all from the web. I got more confused and alot of it was saying to fiddle with router settings but I dont know how to find the router's settings... its not in control panel or network connections or internet options :S

Guest SirChick

No such luck man. It turned out to be just the install file that i already got on CD that came with the router. I have to apparently look into the NIC properties but the terminology is not helping. Wish i didnt drop computing now hehe

EDIT

Everything is fixed.. i threw it in the pond. Im back to wired :d

Edited by SirChick