who listens to 'instrumental hip hop'

decisive

Guest broke
some of my favourite stuff for a while has been donuts by dilla, beat journey by dr who dat, and madlib's beat konducta and sound directions stuff...

anyone any thoughts on what makes this stuff 'standalone' so to speak- when and why do beats stop needing vocals to keep them interesting?

Beat Journey is a good record.

I've been into instrumental hip-hop since the early 90s. I love hip-hop music but I'm not always in the mood to hear what emcee-whoever is saying...

It's just a case of approach and definition. The three records you mentioned in your post are closer to being just rap records without vocals but if you dig deeper you'll find what you're looking for.

So for me instrumental hip hop is basically hip hop made without vocals, if a vocal track has had they rapper removed then it's is just an instrumental version of the same track, if it doesn't stand up on it's own then it's a boring beat.

I don't see it like that man. If you took the MC off loads of the records I like, I just wouldn't listen to them, so I don't think instrumental hip hop is the same as a hip hop instrumental.

So for me instrumental hip hop is basically hip hop made without vocals, if a vocal track has had they rapper removed then it's is just an instrumental version of the same track, if it doesn't stand up on it's own then it's a boring beat.

I don't see it like that man. If you took the MC off loads of the records I like, I just wouldn't listen to them, so I don't think instrumental hip hop is the same as a hip hop instrumental.

i agree with that, but i wish it wasnt that way, i guess i'm moving to the idea that i want the beat to just be crazy off the hook, and i can just compliment it....

i agree with that, but i wish it wasnt that way, i guess i'm moving to the idea that i want the beat to just be crazy off the hook, and i can just compliment it....

I dunno man, it's the same with all music. You can't just take the singer off a rock track and have a good rock instrumental. It's the combination of everything that makes the track good. The simplest beat can turn into a wicked track with the right MC IMO. The two things should be looked at as separate things cos if I love an instrumental song, that usually means adding a vocalist of any kind ain't gonna make it any better. Then again, I'm drunk as fuck (again) so I'm probably talking shit (again). Haha.

well...i see what you saying....

but i mean i guess when i say crazy i mean crazy to me...which is a pretty broad spectrum...

so very simple stuff can def be crazy...

but i look at this as one of those things that the reason it hasnt been done and people dont even think about doing it....is because...its never been done...(hope that made sense)...

but yea...i think that if its done the right way then rap could progress...but then again...maybe you were just talking shit..lol

i mean...mf doom is the only real example i got here...along with everyone @ stones throw....

• 2 weeks later...
This guy is fucked.

-----------------------------

EDIT

wrong thread. Although it could apply to x2k & djdiggla :p

Lol, you had me wandering if you were having a go at me then lol