internet

Phology

iv been at my new flat in london for about 6 months now and only till now started the process of getting internet installed..

activation of the BT line took a while, finally they sent and engineer and claimed that everything was fine...

but then it turned out that the line that was activated now has a DACS box on the line, which splits the line between 2 properties (i think) - and that it will have to be removed to get internet!

i found out that its up to the Internet Provider to request the DACS be removed from BT Wholesale..

i origianlly went for Virgin Media (the 2 for £20 deal - TV & Broadband)

and everything seemed fine, but not for long..

after a very lengthy battle with moronic customer service advisers it turned out that BB was not possible in my location (to this day i still dnt know why)??!!

and it also appeared on their system that i hadnt even placed an order!!

so iv cancelled everything to do with them..

so, now iv gone with AOL.

all the paperwork/online registration went thru...everything cool.

then it turned out that it takes 14 days after registration to recieve conformation of installation.

14 days goes by..

i ring them cuz nothing had bent sent, no phone call or email...and im told that there has been a delay on the process, and that it will take another 10 days to find out.

im still waiting to find out if im guna get internet, and im getting mighty pissed off with the lack of customer care. im not a racist in any way, but eveytime i get thru to someone its ALWAYS someone from a foreign country who just dont understand my questions and dnt really seem to care.

i live in the UK and want to speak to a UK customer advisor!

anyone else had such a farce in getting internet??

and any help wud b great!

Try this site and see what alternatives you have: -

http://www.broadbandchecker.co.uk/

Perhaps VirginMedia couldn't fit BB cos they can't run a cable up to your flat.

Talking of foreign call centres, I emailed LOVEFiLM online DVD rentals the other week to see if they'd be offering Wii games for rental. They already offer games for the Xbox 360 and a few other platforms. I got a reply from someone with a name I couldn't even pronounce which said "The film 'Wii Games' is not yet available on region 2 DVD. Keep checking the site and we will add that title if it becomes available". :|

dont get me started on this!!! there is nothing, not 1 thing you can do to get the internets peoples attention!!!

even now with BT you would think they could sort me out best, but no...

even though they promised me 3.5 meg BB we only get 440K at best. we ring up time and time again but all they tell us to do is fanny about with the filters and run line tests. Even by taking out their most premium package they wont even help us.

its just luck of the draw, if your house is in the right area you will get super fast internet all the time, otherwise, like me, your screwed!

or just nick wireless of the people in your street who haven't been arsed to security protect it.

free internet since last august. oh yes.

i discovered i can do that :) i have broadband anyways, but i could if i wanted lol

even though they promised me 3.5 meg BB we only get 440K at best.

It also depends how far from the exchange you are. You can check that here: -

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php

At least with cable (VirginMedia) that's not an issue.

i know this too well, so before we set it up i asked the guy at BT how fast we could get it and do a check. they said we were in a 4meg area but due to our location it should be 3.5meg

thanks steve for that checker site..

it seems that i cudnt get BB from Virgin Media anyway

that im not in a Cable area but an ADSL area..

and that service with AOL cud be ok..

the deal is thus -

2MB unlimited BB

£14.99 p/month *plus first month free*

free wireless router, connection, and installation

sounds alrite..

so why am i being told that the "free month" only applies to Dial Up??

the advert clearly states that you get 1 month free with BB..

isnt that false advertising?

plus, the first date of payment is on the 2nd or 7th April..

BUT I HAVENT GOT ANYTHING YET!?!?

how can they plan to charge me for something i havnet got??

its like the line activation with BT..

i pay £11 p/month for NOTHING since i havnet got internet (and the phone is broken)

i understand that u need the line activated before you can apply for internet,

but its just another outgoing cost that seems not to be paying off (excuse the pun)

plus their are problems which occur when using AOL with Windows XP apparently..

that a patch for SP2 is required to run the software, and that its recommended to do a Line Check on the phone line

im sure that BT arent going to make it easy for "rival" companies to provide internet.

as they would prefer customers to continue using their services (BT Broadband).

and, am i entitled to get the money back spent on phone calls, to get them to sort out thier own mess??

hmm, just tried the other link u gave steve...

Congratulations, you are in a broadband enabled area.

However, there is already an order pending against your line. If you do not know what this order is for, contact BT on 150. You will not be able to order broadband until this order is cleared.

so it seems that its going ahead, but how fast?

right..

it turns out that the 'free trial' is actually where AOL provides u with dial up, until ur order for BB is completed. u apparently get 1 month free, and then after that u pay.

but i was never informed that this was the case, not once did they explain that they wud provide dial up until BB was set up.

now iv installed the software that they sent me (after even more hassle in that area)

it dusnt f*cking work.

iv had enough and debating wether to cancel my order with AOL and go somewhere else.

however, i start paying for the dial up today and im still not online.

plus they tell me that its now up to BT to clear the DACS on the line before they can go ahead with BB.

god damn sonofabitch

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...