no sound from headphones

S S

for some reason when i play music on my PC it doesn't come through the headphones - only my speakers(im using the headphone socket on the front of the stack BTW) any ideas why this is happening? i've looked at the soundcard settings and there is nothing about headphones on there.

Your front jack is not connected.

Very often, the front jack is a red-hot poker up the shitter to connect. Sometimes it isn't. Depends on your card/case.

You can jack your headphones directly into the line-out at the back. This is perfectly safe, and in fact more often than not the headphone jack at the front does nothing more than to to relocate the jack to a more convienient place. Stick your headphones in the back and all will be fine.

Or you could consult your hadware manuals and follow the connection diagrams. This can be cryptic, at best! You may also find that this disenables the rear line-out (MSI mobos do this, it's a fucking nightmare for anyone who wants to use the onboard 5.1).

There IS a convention of sorts for the connectors, but it is not very well established, so I can't really advise.

You could buy a shuttle. Then it's all hard-wired anyway. Plus, they're very pretty and convienient. buying a shuttle for a headphone socket is my idea of overkill soloutions. You know you need a shuttle. Go buy one.

Pz